🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is responsive but refuses to close con...
Page options
kathy1010
Community Member

Client is responsive but refuses to close contract

Good morning. I have two contracts with a client. I have messaged the client with requests to close several times. He always responds and asks, "Didn't you get paid?" I tell him, yes, I did, but the contracts remain open. He won't close.

I am afraid to close and risk a  bad review. I have no idea why he's playing games. If I returned to money, can he still review me?

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

LOL.

Sorry you're dealing with this.

When I freelancers, I usually think they're great. But when I finish working with them, I close contracts immediately. I might finish talking to them and then close a contract seconds later.

This way I don't need to worry about being billed anything else. And they get their feedback quickly and don't need to worry about stuff.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
yitwail
Community Member

Virginia, you’re Top Rated so you can remove one negative feedback. But since you have 2 contracts with the client, closing them yourself could still expose you to negative feedback, and the fact you’ve asked the client more than once to do so suggests that the client would not take it well if you preemptively closed the contracts. So the safest thing to do is to do nothing, in my opinion. Even if you return all money received, a client can still leave negative private feedback.

Thanks, John.

2a05aa63
Community Member

People do that do they have some 'control'. I'd close it just over principle and leave them a bad feedback.

petra_r
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

People do that do they have some 'control'. I'd close it just over principle and leave them a bad feedback.

Why would you leave the client a bad feedback? What has the client done wrong?

Virginia, what is the problem? If you want the contract closed, just close it yourself. Rather than keep asking the client to do so? If the client can't be bothered to close it, what makes you think the client can be bothered to leave you any poor feedback?

I ask clients **ONCE** to close a contract. If they don't, I either eventually close it myself, or just leave it open.

Under no circumstances would I keep asking a client to close oit. What is the point?

2a05aa63
Community Member

Because closing contracts is be

Petra R wrote:

Viacheslav K wrote:

Because closing contracts is beneficial for both parties, more so for the freelancers, while having it idle do in a way impact the JSS negatively. So refusing to close it without any reason is just bad manners or they have doubts and want to have 'control'.  If there is no more work in plan, closing a contract should be the default action.

petra_r
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

Because closing contracts is be

Petra R wrote:

Viacheslav K wrote:

while having it idle do in a way impact the JSS negatively. 

No, it doesn't. She's been paid. So the contract has no negative impact on the JSS.

I really so wish people would stop repeating that nonsense.

And freelancers are JUST as capable of closing a contract. Do you want clients to leave bad feedback for freelancers too when they don't close a contract?

2a05aa63
Community Member

No, it doesn't. She's been paid. So the contract has no negative impact on the JSS.

And freelancers are JUST as capable of closing a contract. Do you want clients to leave bad feedback for freelancers too when they don't close a contract?

Nonsense? https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006097327
...., either because they were closed or because several months have passed since you received a payment....

... if a contract has become idle, it is generally best to ask your client to close it and, ideally, leave feedback for you. ... On the other hand, if a client is not responsive and the work has been completed on the contract, it is better for you to close the contract..
...the longer you work a contract, the greater the impact it will have on your JSS. That means positive feedback on a longer-term contract can raise your score more than a short-term engagement, and negative feedback on a longer-term contract could lower your score more.
--
As I said, if they refuse, I'll close it myself, taking away some points, for unresponsiveness. I only had 1 client that would be refuse to close it in a year, and of course it was because he wanted to make me work for smaller rate, or leave me a bad review.

I understand that you have 30 "in process" contracts, but I'd rather have only those that I work on now, so clients know my up-to-date availabilty.

petra_r
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

Nonsense?

Yes. Nonsense.  Absolute nonsense. 

So you also think clients should leave "bad feedback" (as you suggested to Virginia) when a freelancer doesn't end the contract?  

You think it is right to leave bad feedback for a client who has been easy to work with, has paid, and has been responsive.

I sure hope any and all clients who would consider hiring you will see this....

Viacheslav K wrote:

I understand that you have 30 "in process" contracts

I don't. 

Don't lie, please.

And if I did, it still would not affect my JSS in any way, shape or form.

QED

Thanks, Petra.

prestonhunter
Community Member

It seems very unwise for a client to leave a contract open if he doesn't need work done.

If I am a client, and I have a contract open, then by definition, a freelancer can log time. If I have more than one contract open, there is more than one freelancer who can log time.

What if NEARLY ALL of my freelancers are 100% honest and professional... but just one of them isn't? What if just one out of 20 freelancers decides to log time doing work I don't actually want done? This week I read about a client (in another thread) who discovered that a freelancer had logged time doing "unauthorized" work to the tune of nearly $5000. Of course freelancers who would do such a dishonorable thing are very, very rare... But why risk it?

So true, Preston. But these two are the most confused clients I've had. 

LOL.

Sorry you're dealing with this.

When I freelancers, I usually think they're great. But when I finish working with them, I close contracts immediately. I might finish talking to them and then close a contract seconds later.

This way I don't need to worry about being billed anything else. And they get their feedback quickly and don't need to worry about stuff.

Definitely a good habit to develop, Preston. Thanks.

tlbp
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

Good morning. I have two contracts with a client. I have messaged the client with requests to close several times. He always responds and asks, "Didn't you get paid?" I tell him, yes, I did, but the contracts remain open. He won't close.

I am afraid to close and risk a  bad review. I have no idea why he's playing games. If I returned to money, can he still review me?

Thanks.

Because you have messaged the client several times, I would recommend that you wait a week or two and then close the contracts. I only recommend the wait because you don't want the client to get an invitation from Upwork to leave a review while the multiple messages are still on his mind-just in case those messages annoyed him. Maybe the client doesn't care, maybe he does. So, why risk it? Wait a bit, then close the contracts. 

My personal philosophy is to avoid as much as possible doing anything that adds to my client's workload--even something as small as responding to unnecessary messages. We are all inundated with demands for our time. Why add extra steps? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths