Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is responsive but refuses to close contract

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 15

It seems very unwise for a client to leave a contract open if he doesn't need work done.

If I am a client, and I have a contract open, then by definition, a freelancer can log time. If I have more than one contract open, there is more than one freelancer who can log time.

What if NEARLY ALL of my freelancers are 100% honest and professional... but just one of them isn't? What if just one out of 20 freelancers decides to log time doing work I don't actually want done? This week I read about a client (in another thread) who discovered that a freelancer had logged time doing "unauthorized" work to the tune of nearly $5000. Of course freelancers who would do such a dishonorable thing are very, very rare... But why risk it?

kathy1010
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
12 of 15

So true, Preston. But these two are the most confused clients I've had. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
13 of 15

LOL.

Sorry you're dealing with this.

When I freelancers, I usually think they're great. But when I finish working with them, I close contracts immediately. I might finish talking to them and then close a contract seconds later.

This way I don't need to worry about being billed anything else. And they get their feedback quickly and don't need to worry about stuff.

View solution in original post

kathy1010
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
14 of 15

Definitely a good habit to develop, Preston. Thanks.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
15 of 15

Virginia F wrote:

Good morning. I have two contracts with a client. I have messaged the client with requests to close several times. He always responds and asks, "Didn't you get paid?" I tell him, yes, I did, but the contracts remain open. He won't close.

I am afraid to close and risk a  bad review. I have no idea why he's playing games. If I returned to money, can he still review me?

Thanks.

Because you have messaged the client several times, I would recommend that you wait a week or two and then close the contracts. I only recommend the wait because you don't want the client to get an invitation from Upwork to leave a review while the multiple messages are still on his mind-just in case those messages annoyed him. Maybe the client doesn't care, maybe he does. So, why risk it? Wait a bit, then close the contracts. 

My personal philosophy is to avoid as much as possible doing anything that adds to my client's workload--even something as small as responding to unnecessary messages. We are all inundated with demands for our time. Why add extra steps? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS