Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is sending confusing specs for magazine

daydreamdesigns
Ace Contributor
Kendra C Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
1 of 17

I don't have much experience with magazine/book layout design, but I do have experience setting files up for produciton for other types of media.

Client is looking for a 2 page spread for a  magazine.  I asked the dimensions because I know there is a standard, but not all magazines are the same size.

the response is 11x17 with a 1" bleed

I'm pretty sure each page is not 11x17 .. is it normal to make the document size to include both pages? Also, a 1" bleed seems excessive. Am I wrong?

I asked for a previous indesign file so I could see what was happening, but they sen't me one I couldn't open. When I asked for  a new one (saved as CS6 - I haven't upgraded to CC yet) they said "The full spread is 11x17 whatever you end up doing I’ll make it work within my specs"

Maybe I should just not worry about it then, but I'm a little miffed!

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 17

I'd probably go spring for the CC software and then write it off on my taxes. Isn't it like $40 for a month? Open file and get the stuffs.

That's what I'd do anyway. 

daydreamdesigns
Ace Contributor
3 of 17

I should also mention this is a $20 job, just started on upwork and need reviews!

daydreamdesigns
Ace Contributor
4 of 17

Unrelated question: can clients see these posts? I tried to find that answer, but didn't see anything.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
5 of 17

Kendra C wrote:

Unrelated question: can clients see these posts? I tried to find that answer, but didn't see anything.

Yes, this is an open forum.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 17

re: "Unrelated question: can clients see these posts? I tried to find that answer, but didn't see anything."

ANYONE can read these posts.

Statistically speaking, your client does NOT visit the Community Forum and will NOT read anything you post here.

But those are just the odds. Your client COULD read the Forum if he wanted to.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 17

Kendra C wrote:

I should also mention this is a $20 job, just started on upwork and need reviews!

This is how this experience is going to go down...

1. You took a job for which you admit you don't have the knowledge or experience
  2. You took a job for which you don't have the basic tools--clients are going to expect a design contractor to have access to CC
  3. You aren't able to communicate clearly with your client about the requirements (because they may be subcontracting or because you don't have the appropriate knowledge to know what questions to ask) 
  4. The client is cheap

All this adds up to, you are going to get a bad review if you are lucky. If you are unlucky, you'll be asked to issue a full refund and have a no-earnings contract on your record. 

Cheap clients are not kind and patient clients. No clients are here to pay for freelancers to practice.  Some of the worst experiences I've had involved contracts where I thought, "Well I can do X so I can probably handle Y." Don't test your skills on a contract that can affect your ability to earn future gigs. 

daydreamdesigns
Ace Contributor
8 of 17

Tonya P wrote:

Kendra C wrote:

1. You took a job for which you admit you don't have the knowledge or experience
  2. You took a job for which you don't have the basic tools--clients are going to expect a design contractor to have access to CC
  3. You aren't able to communicate clearly with your client about the requirements (because they may be subcontracting or because you don't have the appropriate knowledge to know what questions to ask) 
  4. The client is cheap

All this adds up to, you are going to get a bad review if you are lucky. If you are unlucky, you'll be asked to issue a full refund and have a no-earnings contract on your record. 

Cheap clients are not kind and patient clients. No clients are here to pay for freelancers to practice.  Some of the worst experiences I've had involved contracts where I thought, "Well I can do X so I can probably handle Y." Don't test your skills on a contract that can affect your ability to earn future gigs. 

Actually, the job went extremely well! Delivered the files on time, client was happy, got paid, got a good review AND client asked me to do another project =D

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 17

Kendra C wrote:

Tonya P wrote:

Kendra C wrote:

4. The client is cheap

Actually, the job went extremely well! Delivered the files on time, client was happy, got paid, got a good review AND client asked me to do another project =D

You are officially an Upwork unicorn. 🦄

daydreamdesigns
Ace Contributor
10 of 17

I'm a unicorn in real life too 😃

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS