Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is sending confusing specs for magazine

vsalinitro
Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
11 of 17

First of all, you really need to update to CC, working with older versions of Indesign is not really feasible (especially Indesign). You could ask the client to export an IDML for you. 

The 1 inch it's far too much for a magazine, but that doesn't really matter as it can be overridden during the export. And regarding the document size most probably they are considering the 2 pages together.

daydreamdesigns
Ace Contributor
Kendra C Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
12 of 17

Thanks Valerio!

Is that a common thing, to ask for the 2 pages together? I feel like it makes more sense to have the pages separate, but maybe that's just me.

vsalinitro
Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
13 of 17

Usually, makes more sense to have separate pages, I would just create a document with facing pages for a total width of 17''.

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
14 of 17

yes, it's a standard - to provide 2 page spread with bleed (because of the paper fold)

and the size is standard - tabloid (2 letter)

I don't know what the project was about, but $20   budget sounds silly...

daydreamdesigns
Ace Contributor
15 of 17

Ok good to know thanks!

This is my third job on upwork so I feel like I'm having to take all the low paying gigs to start out, but luckily I was really into the content so it was fun. 

atreglia
Community Guru
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
16 of 17

Hi Kendra....

Just to add, I'd also advise you to upgrade to CC, if possible.  Not sure if taxes vary amongst the states for the subscription, but here in NJ I pay a total of $56.50 per month for the entire suite and for me it's worth it as I never have to worry if I can open and work on a clients file.  I also deduct it on my taxes.  

daydreamdesigns
Ace Contributor
17 of 17

Thanks Anna,

I just got laid off at work where I normally have CC, so I'm sort of weighing my options if I should just go freelance or if I should get another regular job. If I take the plunge, I would invest!

Anna T wrote:

Hi Kendra....

Just to add, I'd also advise you to upgrade to CC, if possible.  Not sure if taxes vary amongst the states for the subscription, but here in NJ I pay a total of $56.50 per month for the entire suite and for me it's worth it as I never have to worry if I can open and work on a clients file.  I also deduct it on my taxes.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS