🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is trying to abuse contract limits.
Page options
7527f05a
Community Member

Client is trying to abuse contract limits.

Hello,

I landed a project with an upwork client from Korea.

The project was to integrate a payment gateway and solve session issue in 24 hours along with updating a few database entries.

I completed the project for payment session data with virtual payment method and updating the database entries within 24 hours.

Now there are 2 more payment methods which require one to provide valid Korean cards and bank details to implement and test. Each time the card is tested a small charge will be made on the card.

The client cannot provide a card or bank details to test and implement the API, but asked me to use my card. This is not possible as I don't want to get charged to do work on the project. Also I dont have Korean cards and bank account.

In the proposed 24 hours the client also did not have the credentials for the server on which code was hosted to modify configuration files.

So I completed what I could in 24 hours and told the client that I can complete when he has access to the server and testing data and got paid $50 half of the project cost. (I agreed to do for cheap as I am new to upwork) 

After 1 day of the project the client is threatening that I need to start working on the project again in 1 hour or he will end the contract and give me a negetive review. 

He still doesn't have the testing data for card and bank payment, only server creds to modify configuration, and is asking me that I write code on one end and he will test with his card on his system via screen share, which I tried for 3 hours but is not technically feasible. What should I do?

The client is now asking me to make payments from my card and if it goes though he will cancel and refund it. Am I suppose to make payments outside upwork? How am I protected if the client refuses to reimburse me.

Regards,

NAIR Vishak

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Vishak, if I had a fixed-price contract and a client complained about anything or did anything I didn't like the way your client did, then I would close the contract and block him. If that meant refunding the $50, then yes I would do that.

I don't have time for the kind of nonsense you described on the part of a client.

Fixed-price contracts are not the default contract mode. I regard them as a privilege.

I work on many fixed-price contracts, but the clients I work for know that a fixed-price contract involves zero changes, and zero revisions. The agreement is the agreement. When the task is done, the task is done.

Clients know I will do everything within my power to make them successful. But part of that means respecting the agreements that are in place and not asking for out-of-scope work. If they do that then I will only work for them using hourly contracts.

Frankly, MOST clients I work for want me to work for them using hourly contracts because it gives them flexibility to ask for whatever they want to ask. If I don't know how to do something, I work with them to bring in other people with specific expertise. Or sometimes clients just straight-up ask to pay me for my time to learn something new because they would rather have me do it rather than bring in someone else.

Or, if a client is unprofessional or disrespectful or rude in general - then they risk the worst possible thing: I would no longer be willing to work for them.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vishak,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client. Looks like you already have a support ticket regarding this concert and our team is looking into it. Please allow time for them to respond and update your ticket. If you have any additional questions you can post them directly on your existing support ticket and our team will gladly address those for you.

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Vishak, if I had a fixed-price contract and a client complained about anything or did anything I didn't like the way your client did, then I would close the contract and block him. If that meant refunding the $50, then yes I would do that.

I don't have time for the kind of nonsense you described on the part of a client.

Fixed-price contracts are not the default contract mode. I regard them as a privilege.

I work on many fixed-price contracts, but the clients I work for know that a fixed-price contract involves zero changes, and zero revisions. The agreement is the agreement. When the task is done, the task is done.

Clients know I will do everything within my power to make them successful. But part of that means respecting the agreements that are in place and not asking for out-of-scope work. If they do that then I will only work for them using hourly contracts.

Frankly, MOST clients I work for want me to work for them using hourly contracts because it gives them flexibility to ask for whatever they want to ask. If I don't know how to do something, I work with them to bring in other people with specific expertise. Or sometimes clients just straight-up ask to pay me for my time to learn something new because they would rather have me do it rather than bring in someone else.

Or, if a client is unprofessional or disrespectful or rude in general - then they risk the worst possible thing: I would no longer be willing to work for them.

kinector
Community Member

Vishak, my sympathies.

It sounds quite unreasonable but on the other hand, I can see how the client is not getting to his/her goal and therefore frustrated. Sounds excessively mean, though.

For fixed-price contracts, these things need to be defined in the beginning, otherwise, there is no end to the project.

Freelancers are required to have tools of their own, but normally nobody asks to use your own credit card for testing. What would you say is the "normal way" of doing this? And was it clear to both parties before the contract started? Expectation management and understanding all dependencies is the key.

If you think you still have a good spirit in the discussion with the client, you can try to come to an agreement whereby the client covers all that is required from you.

Otherwise, refund, "eject" from the project, and block for good for your own safety.

Look on the bright side, it was not a big project. More will come, and most of them will be much better. Just don't let this affect your other work on this platform.

Stay positive, all the best! 🙂

Thank you for your replies.
The client has now ended the contact. How do I refund the contact now. I
tried to do it yesterday itself, before the contact had ended but couldn't
find a way to reimburse since the milestone was paid and services charges +
taxes deducted. Also I couldn't find an option in the contract UIs.

I have anyway filled a dispute and don't mind refunding the client as long
has his project doesn't appear on my profile wall.

petra_r
Community Member

Vishak N wrote:
I have anyway filled a dispute and don't mind refunding the client as long
has his project doesn't appear on my profile wall.

Why did you dispute if you want to refund? Those are opposite! By disputing you initialized a process to fight for the money still in Escrow!

The way to refund is to go to the contract, click on the 3 dots on the right, and choose "refund" - You don't have to worry about fees etc, simply refund what the client paid ($ 50) and Upwork will sort the fees.

Please be aware that whilst refunding in full will remove the feedback from your public profile, it will affect your Job Success Score when you get one.

7527f05a
Community Member

Thank you for the details. I couldn't find the option to refund before and hence filed a dispute as I didnt know how to reimburse and wanted to remove the clients presences from my profile.

I wanted to know if I refund the entire emount of the project, would the client reviews be still on my profile?

petra_r
Community Member

Vishak N wrote:

I wanted to know if I refund the entire emount of the project, would the client reviews be still on my profile?

The contract would normally vanish from your profile a day or so after the refund was actioned, but this may now be delayed by you filing for dispute.

Little bit of advice: Next time you negotiate a contract, read the client's feedback very carefully. I'd not have accepted a contract from them in the first place.

7527f05a
Community Member

Okay thanks.

I have refunded the amount and is there a way for freelancers to let go af the dispute and let the client access his escrow money back quickly. 

I only filed it as I couldn't figure out a way to refund the client yesterday.

I just want to end this relation with headache of a client quickly and proceed with my real work.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members