🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client job all variations of the same spam.
Page options
1606c78c
Community Member

Client job all variations of the same spam.

This is the 3rd time I have seen variations of the following:

WordPress developer required for 2 websites redesigning work. My e-commerce websites are designed in WordPress but they are not looking good. I tried to make some changes by myself, but it didn't worked and I messed it up. Your task is to redesign both of my websites as per the references. Here you can see the references I loved the most:-

Followed by 4 shortened links (all doubleclick.net referrers) all  ending up at a weird herbal mushroom selling place.

The proposal conditions state:

You will be asked to answer the following questions when submitting a proposal:

1. Did you check all websites carefully? Write down their names

The client has 4 other jobs currently posted, ranging from graphic design, content writing , SEO and WordPress all contain the same spammy links.

Last week another client had the same 4 shortened links with over 20 open jobs.

I have reported this through the "Flag as inappropriate" any time I see them but they keep coming back.

Is there any way to block an exact url  from showing up in job results or perhaps by regular expression?

11 REPLIES 11
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Sorry, but they will keep coming back no matter how many times you flag them.

Thanks for the response, Peter.

I guess I'll just keep flagging.

roberty1y
Community Member

It shouldn't be too hard for Upwork to block a URL once it's been shown the "client" is just posting fake jobs to get clicks.

They keep making new client accounts... so I suppose they would just change the shortened urls. 

Frustrating and a time waster but not the end of the world.

You'd think so, right?

Robert Y wrote:

It shouldn't be too hard for Upwork to block a URL once it's been shown the "client" is just posting fake jobs to get clicks.

They use different ones that all lead to the same page. It is also not just one "client", its literally dozens, all using their own referal links.

Getting rid of them is like playing whack-a-mole because for every one you whack another 3 will pop up.

roberty1y
Community Member

I'll just remember to avoid any post that says "Did you check all the websites carefully? Write down their names". 

I think the url shortner is a good indicator. Especially when all of the shortened urls went to the same place.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

Thank you for flagging this for us and for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace! You can check our Stay Safe series, especially the Stay Safe Online: Preventing Fraud post, where more information is shared about Upwork's safeguards in place to keep our community safe.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks, Bojan. All freelancers should read that.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Are you still seeing these same posts reappear after you've flagged them?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members