🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client keeps asking for unreasonable addition...
Page options
aa49bca6
Community Member

Client keeps asking for unreasonable additions to work which are out of scope

A client asked me to shoot 3 12-minute video clips of street food in my city. He provided sample videos and I went and shot the 36-minute content to the best of my ability. 
After viewing the content, he is claiming that he wanted the angles to be a little skewed, and more people to be covered in the footage. Basically, bizarre wishful additions which were not made categorically clear to begin with. 

As a kind gesture, I told him I have some extra footage that he might want to have a look at also. He said he wants that too. I told him to first pay the upfront amount for the initial work, but he completely demoralized me by saying - and I'm paraphrasing here: "This is upwork... you should do as the client says... don't think, just do"- he further on snarkly remarked that "you are educated and you should know better". I kept my cool, and still dealt with him politely. I ended up sending him that extra (out-of-scope) footage, too. He then asked me to merge all the clips into a single video and re-send. Now note, this is a client who hasn't paid a dime yet, has insulted me, and now has the audacity to ask for yet another revision. 

I have stopped replying because I feel like it is a lost cause. I am presuming I wasted my precious time shooting the footage in the heat, and being honest. With clients like this, new honest freelancers like us, really have to face injustice. 

I have told the client that video-editing is not my forte, to which he is saying "It's not a big deal. Just get it done by someone". He is clearly crossing the limits, and I feel helpless in retracting my hard-earned money. 

I am heartbroken as I have sent him all the WeTransfer links, and he owns the footage... and I have nothing to claim. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client keeps asking for unreasonable additions to work which are out of scope"

I'm not entirely comfortable with the title of your thread.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "reasonable" addition to work which is out of scope.

Problems start when you allow clients to request ANY addition which is out of scope.

The most effective way to deal with scope creep is to NOT deal with scope creep.

When a client asks for something which is out of scope, my standard advice is to always say:

"Yes, I can do that. Would you like to release the current escrow payment, end the current fixed-price contract and start a new hourly contract for that work? Or would like like to release the current escrow payment, end the current fixed-price contract, and set up a fixed-price contract for $50 to do that?"

Give the client a CHOICE:

fixed-price or hourly contract

But NOT paying for the new work isn't an acceptable choice.

====

Muhammad Abdullah:
I am sorry that you are in the situation you are in.

It sounds like this client wants to treat you and this contract as a magical wishing well that he can toss a few coins into and then ask for whatever he wants.

That is NOT how fixed-price contracts are supposed to work.

I don't think you should do ANYTHING that the client asks for that wasn't specifically written in the original task agreement. The client should have paid you for what you originally sent him, without asking for ANYTHING else.

You may have no realistic choice beyond disputing the client's non-release of payment:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068528-Dispute-Non-Release-of-a-Milestone-Payment

kinector
Community Member

Muhammad Abdullah Q wrote:

A client asked me to shoot 3 12-minute video clips of street food in my city. He provided sample videos and I went and shot the 36-minute content to the best of my ability. 
After viewing the content, he is claiming that he wanted the angles to be a little skewed, and more people to be covered in the footage. Basically, bizarre wishful additions which were not made categorically clear to begin with. 

As a kind gesture, I told him I have some extra footage that he might want to have a look at also. He said he wants that too. I told him to first pay the upfront amount for the initial work, but he completely demoralized me by saying - and I'm paraphrasing here: "This is upwork... you should do as the client says... don't think, just do"- he further on snarkly remarked that "you are educated and you should know better". I kept my cool, and still dealt with him politely. I ended up sending him that extra (out-of-scope) footage, too. He then asked me to merge all the clips into a single video and re-send. Now note, this is a client who hasn't paid a dime yet, has insulted me, and now has the audacity to ask for yet another revision. 

I have stopped replying because I feel like it is a lost cause. I am presuming I wasted my precious time shooting the footage in the heat, and being honest. With clients like this, new honest freelancers like us, really have to face injustice. 

I have told the client that video-editing is not my forte, to which he is saying "It's not a big deal. Just get it done by someone". He is clearly crossing the limits, and I feel helpless in retracting my hard-earned money. 

I am heartbroken as I have sent him all the WeTransfer links, and he owns the footage... and I have nothing to claim. 

Muhammad, this sounds like a quite miserable situation. My sympathies.

But normally, the freelancer would have had a series of inquiries about what exactly the client needs to see in those videos, how they should be submitted, and what in general is within-scope and out-of-scope of the job, knowing that the assignment has vague points, to begin with.

Communication + expectation management is the key.

In case the client is asking for free work, you can report him. Clients are not allowed to ask for free work.

If you know everything is going to end badly and you cannot see any way to make this project work out well for the client, just refund the money, close the project, and block the client for good. This way you don't get any nasty reviews on your work history. And then, don't look back, look forward.

You'd lose the time, though, of course, but at the beginning of your Upwork career that is a better choice than getting "killed" with the first project. The client doesn't sound like a very reasonable person and is likely to leave a bad review. If the first couple of reviews look strange, it is very hard to get anyone to hire you.

Good luck! 👍

PS. It would be better not to include details such as screenshots here. They just get edited for community guidelines... which are something you might want to take a look at soon.

petra_r
Community Member

He doesn't own the footge, you do, because it isn't paid for yet.

Basically, you need to be less "heartbroken" and more business-minded. 

You also made a mistake not setting a tight scope to start with and not sending the client some footage to start with to see if he wants the rest in that style. 

Then if the client wanted anything different, you could refer to the scope and the approved sample and tell the client that you'll be more than happy to shoot more footage, tell them how much it will cost and that you'd start as soon as he'll set up and activate the new milestone for the new work.

I have stopped replying m. 

What will be solved by that?

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

You should realize that there will always be revision requests, no matter how big or small the project is. Sometimes minor and sometimes major. And it would be best if you were prepared to handle such requests. 

If the project is an hourly project, there is no problem, and you will be compensated for the extra time you spent on revisions. But for fixed fee projects, it becomes a little difficult, so always discuss the project's scope in detail, even then be prepared for revision requests. 

Even if the project is small, split it into at least 2 milestones, 1 for submitting the first draft and the other for final delivery! That way, you will be more likely to take the revision request willingly because you have been paid partially! What is adding o your frustration with the revision request is that the client has not paid you anything! 

You seem to be new here, so you need few projects and good reviews to establish your credibility; if there is something you can do, you should definitely do that, even if that means extra time or effort, and try to close the project on good notes. 

If there is a minor request beyond the discussed scope and you have the skills, you should certainly do that; if it's going o take more time, please discuss with the client and explain him and renegotiate a new milestone, 

And you should definitely not try to do something you are not skilled at; you will mess it up more! 

Willingly and happy, do what you can for this client; if he is adamant, cut your losses, close the contact, and move on. If you do not get paid by this client, he can't rate you and cant impact your rating here.:) 

Be flexible to client's requests, at least at the beginning of your freelance journey on this website. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members