cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client keeps updating a new milestone without funding it?

maddynicole2312
Maddy H Member Since: Dec 1, 2015
1 of 2

Hello,

Having issues with a new client. Was assigned two articles, milestone had money in escrow, I submitted the milestone, got paid no problem. Okay, cool.

The next day in the messages, this client assigned me instructions for a new article (without a new milestone being created). I waited a day to see if they'd do it. I came back to them and said I'm finished with the work but can't submit it as there isn't a milestone and if they could please create it. They said they would but that they've been having problems with their account and will create the milestone later, but for now, I can "submit the work here on Upwork." (Hm.)

Days later, they finally created the milestone, but it wasn't funded. Everytime I would tell them that the milestone wasn't funded, hence why I can't submit the work, they would "update" the milestone (again, no funding in escrow). Told them again, they updated the milestone. No funding again. Then the client added another person into the Upwork messages room who did that same thing: updated the milestone without funding. The milestone is only $18. I can't see why they wouldn't want to fund it, lol.

I need some advice here. Do I wait, report, just end the contract? I'm not sure if there is a genuine problem on their ending funding milestones or if they're making an attempt to play me out of free work. I would have ended the contract myself, but I am top-rated and don't want a bad review, lower job success score, etc.

(P.S., this client is from India, but I have worked with clients from India in the past and got paid for milestones no problem.)

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 2

Maddy, either the client can't fund the milestone, or doesn't intend to. As you say, if you close the contract, you risk negative feedback, and you already have a 3.9 star feedback in your work history, so another like it could knock you out of Top Rated. So if I were you, I'd leave it up to the client to come around with payment, or even a reduced payment, and move on. One inactive job isn't likely to have a major impact on your JSS anyway.

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS