🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client left poor feedback even after job ...
Page options
deepgagan
Community Member

Client left poor feedback even after job completed successfully

I am a top rated freelancer on Upwork with 5-star feedback on most of the projects I have completed on Upwork in last 10 years. Recently, I have worked with 2 clients both from India, they did not have big budget but I accepted projects at low prices as I was not getting any new projects from Upwork.

I completed the job successfully and clients were happy with results and promised to give me more work in future but still left poor feedback for me. And, now not replying to my messages. Just two projects one of $25 and other of $110 (Out of which upwork will deduct 20% fees) has destroyed my profile of 10+ years with feedback from 100+ clients.

I have one feedback removal request option but I know it wont help me in long tem as most of the projects in my category are very short term projects where clients are looking for quick results at very low budget. So If I accept any new project, the only option left for me will be to refund whole amount in case of bad feedback.

Upwork should offer some help in dealing with feedback from such clients. I have done all communication via Upwork and upwork can check all the messages between me and client.

I will suggest fellow freelancers to guide me.

7 REPLIES 7
lysis10
Community Member

What exactly is Upwork supposed to do about your unhappy clients? lol Just use the feedback removal perk and move on.

eta: nevermind. I looked at the "bad feedback" and it's not bad so just move on.

I feel we should have an option to dispute feedback . Upwork can charge for that as well. Or Upwork should sort feedback according to the project value. Clients only see the latest feedback, even if it is from $20 project, they wont go and check 5-star feedback from $5000 project because it is old

Remove the 3.75 one...as for the one where you left the response to the feedback, honestly, you should have just left that one alone. Next time if you do feel the need to respond, do not use emotional language (i.e. "it is sad"), and leave one or two POLITE and to the point sentences. You want to come off as professional as possible.

JMO.

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for your comment. As you can see, client thanked me for quick work but still left me 3.75. He did not add any details and now not replying to my messages which I feel is unfair as I will have to use my feedback removal perk for such small value project and I wont be able to use again for next 6 months.

I agree with your comment about my response to previous contract, I also felt the same and contacted Upwork support to get it removed, but they can only remove it after 14 days.

Thanks

Gagandeep S wrote:

Hi Melanie,

Thank for your comment. As you can see, client thanked me for quick work but still left me 3.75. He did not add any details and now not replying to my messages which I feel is unfair as I will have to use my feedback removal perk for such small value project which I wont be able to use again for next 6 months.

I agree with your comment about my response to previous contract, I also felt the same and contacted Upwork support to get it removed, but they can only remove it after 14 days.

Thanks

Okay. Don't contact the client anymore. 🙂 You never, ever, ever want to harrass clients. Clients being harrassed by freelancers is (apparently) a big part of why we now have private FB...so clients can give the rating they really feel is appropriate without the freelancer complaining and contacting them well past the close of the project. So please don't. And DEFINITELY do not contact a client about feedback, ever.

It doesn't matter whether the contract was small or large. Why do you feel you're wasting your FB removal perk by using it on the 3.75? It counts the same whether you use it for a small job, large job, any job.

4.25 isn't terrible feedback by any means, even if it's not 5. It would have been better not to write any response, even if the client promised 5 star feedback. 3.75 isn't great, but it's very possible it will have little or no effect on Job Success, because Job Success is the highest of the 6, 12, and 24 month averages, so it would have little effect on the 12 or 24 month averages. So before you use the feedback removal perk, wait until your Job Success updates. Even if you lose the Top Rated badge by then, which I doubt, you will still be able to use the perk to restore your badge. If you're determined to remove the 3.75 feedback without using the removal perk, then you'll have to give a full refund, but that will have a greater negative effect on your Job Success in the long run.

If you want to remove a negative feedback, remove the 3.75 one. As for your response to the second one, that rating is not bad. I don't think it will affect your JSS score, If it does, it won't affect it as much as that other one. 

Some advice, In the future, do not contact clients and ask them to change the feedback that they gave to you. If I were a client and a freelancer asked me that, I would definitely change it, .... to a much lower rating them originally given.

If you refund money that was payed to you because of bad feedback, it will affect your JSS MUCH more then negative feedback because a job completed with no earnings affects your JSS. 

And finally if you HAVE to reply to feedback, make it short and professional. Your reply, as long as it is can affect you more negatively then the feedback you received. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths