🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client looking to sue me for negoligence and ...
Page options
peter_dong
Community Member

Client looking to sue me for negoligence and wants me to pay loss revenue

An ecommerce client of mine is looking to sue me for negligence because I accidently deleted their Google Merchant Account which I was admin/owner of. They are looking to press charges for the amount of loss business income from the time the account was closed to whenever they get it back up and running.

We worked strictly only on Upwork and do not have any legal service agreements.  Should I be worried? 

3 REPLIES 3
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

You need to retain the services of an attorney ASAP.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "An ecommerce client of mine is looking to sue me for negligence because I accidently deleted their Google Merchant Account which I was admin/owner of."

I don't know that this is true.

When I create a system with a merchant account, I provide a button that can be used to delete the account. But when somebody clicks the button, the account is not actually deleted. A flag is simply switched from active to inactive. If somebody makes a mistake, they can contact me and I can restore the account.

In database systems, when a user "deletes" something like this, they usually are not actually deleting anything. They just think they are deleting something.

prowriterusa
Community Member

Are you and the client in the same country? If not, he would have a hard time suing you because you did not commit a criminal act. Can't Google reinstate the account? I would assume they have back up data. The client would have to file a claim first with Google. In any event why did you own the account? He should own it and provide admin access to you. Beware of that. I would never have a freelancer own my merchant account. Sounds fishy to me- like he did not know the risks?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members