cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client lose verified payment method when I finished the job, and disappeared

neshac
Nebojsa M Member Since: May 23, 2016
1 of 7

I've completed the work (hourly job, I logged my hours with Team App) and client has replyed to me that he is very satisfied and that my job is very good (we communicate only through upwork messages). Right after that, he has been offline. I asked him to end the contract and no responses from him. Offline all the time.
When I start to work for that client I saw that he hasn't got any reviews but he had "verified payment method" so I figured that Upwork guarantees for payment. Now I found on his profile that this days (today or yesterday) he has lost "verified payment method" and his payment method now is "Payment Method Not Verified" and now he is constantly offline. It seems that it not concerns only me but several clients who worked for him at the same time. Should I end the contract by myself before offer expiration date and I wonder if I might be left with no payment if the client does not appear?

Thanks

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

@Nebojsa M wrote:

I've completed the work (hourly job, I logged my hours with Team App) and client has replyed to me that he is very satisfied and that my job is very good (we communicate only through upwork messages). Right after that, he has been offline. I asked him to end the contract and no responses from him. Offline all the time.
When I start to work for that client I saw that he hasn't got any reviews but he had "verified payment method" so I figured that Upwork guarantees for payment. Now I found on his profile that this days (today or yesterday) he has lost "verified payment method" and his payment method now is "Payment Method Not Verified" and now he is constantly offline. It seems that it not concerns only me but several clients who worked for him at the same time. Should I end the contract by myself before offer expiration date and I wonder if I might be left with no payment if the client does not appear?

Thanks

If your contract was hourly, you tracked the time with the tracker, had good activity and entered meaningful work memos for all work done, you should be covered by the guarantee.

Be aware that there are some conditions attached to the guarantee, you can find them here

neshac
3 of 7

thanks

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 7

Hi Nebojsa,

To add to the information Petra already shared, I would suggest waiting a bit more before taking any action on this contract.

Untitled
neshac
5 of 7

Ok, I'll be waiting,

But one more thing.
In this conditions it says:

In the following cases, you, the freelancer do not qualify for payment protection:
- Payments from clients who haven’t verified their billing method

and what about my case? When I start to work for the client he has a verified payment method with Upwork and after I finished the job he has lost it and now his Payment Method Not Verified?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 7

Hi Nebojsa,

If that's the case, this condition won't apply to your contract.

Untitled

View solution in original post

This widget could not be displayed.
7 of 7
This widget could not be displayed.

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Nebojsa,

If that's the case, this condition won't apply to your contract.

This has happened several times. Clients start with a verified payment method that fails after the first invoices have to be paid (because the used a stolen credit card or does not have enough money). As far as I know Upwork has to pay the freelancer if he used the team app for hourly jobs as the client had a verified payment method when the contract with the freelancer started. Recently I reported a client who seemed a bogus client for me as he was specifically offering hourly jobs and hired many freelancers in one week with high hourly rates and nothing paid so far. I was told by Upwork's customer service that he has a verified payment method. And when he had to pay the first invoices I could see that his payment failed and the payment method turned to not verified. I was told by CS then that actions have been taken against this client. So, when the client had a verified payment method when the contract started and lost it after the first invoices, the freelancer did not make a mistake and the client was a swindler.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS