cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client made double payment; how do I do a refund?

Ace Contributor
Ken J Member Since: Nov 29, 2014
1 of 19

Client was charged twice for same project and I would to give it back. Can you tell me HOW?

Thanks!

Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
2 of 19

I had this happen with me and I contacted Support via Live Chat and the rep did it on my behalf. There is an option to manually issue a refund. Click on Job Details for the particular job on your My Jobs page and see the option on the right, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Robyn J Member Since: Aug 18, 2018
3 of 19

Where is this elusive live chat?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 19

@Robyn J wrote:

Where is this elusive live chat?

Live chat is only available to clients and top rated freelancers.

You can ask your question here or create a ticket.

Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
5 of 19

Hi, Kenneth.

Actually, there is 3 ways to go about this issue. First 2 were already mentioned by Gyan, and the third one, is to negotiate an additional work with client that will cost exactly as much as he has overpaid.

If possible, I’d myself prefer to do some additional work. Here is an explanation why:

In my understanding, Upwork rating system considers each and every refund, even one mutually agreed on, or one made to correct some mishap; to be a failure of contractor. And so, if refund is processed, it impacts on job success rating. Maybe, if refund is process manually by support representative, it will not be the case. But I’d rather avoid involving support in this issue – one little slip up on their part, and you’ll be left with no money for project at all.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 19

@Alexander N wrote:

1) In my understanding, Upwork rating system considers each and every refund, even one mutually agreed on, or one made to correct some mishap; to be a failure of contractor. And so, if refund is processed, it impacts on job success rating.

2) But I’d rather avoid involving support in this issue – one little slip up on their part, and you’ll be left with no money for project at all.

1) No it does not, as has been confirmed several times now. It is the outcome of the contract that determines its impact on JSS, a successful contract with a refund, or a refund hat happened within a successful contract,  does not in any way affect JSS negatively!

2) It would take a massive slip up.... which is unlikely.

It is better to go down that route (contact support or asking the client to do so)  because it means the client does not have to wait up to 12 days to get their mistakenly paid money back (as is the case with a freelancer initiated refund, especially if the freelancer has no available funds to cover the refund of money they have not received yet) - or the OP won't lose the refund out of their currently available funds if they refund from the contract end.

If, for example, the OP has 100 in cleared funds available, from,say, another contract, and issues 60 refund which won't clear into their account until 6 days from now, it takes the refund out of the 100, AND the client won't get the funds back until the 6 day security hold is up. So the OP would have only 40 until the 60 that were mistakenly paid become available... If the freelancer has no cleared funds the refund won't be initiated until the freelancer does, and then takes the 5-6 days to get back

Ace Contributor
7 of 19

Thanks for the advice. I will probably try the chat route as 1) the project has ended and 2) the only balance I have is the negative amount equal to the double payment

Community Guru
Javier M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
8 of 19

Ace Contributor
9 of 19

Upwork said they will apply future earnings against the credit, which is fine with me. I am waiting to hear back if the client will be reimbursed promptly or not.

Community Guru
10 of 19

@Kenneth P J wrote:

Upwork said they will apply future earnings against the credit, which is fine with me. I am waiting to hear back if the client will be reimbursed promptly or not.

When did the client make the double payment?

The client will not get their money back until 5-6 days after you have cleared funds to the value of any refund in your account.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS