cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client might have scammed me, I'm trying to prevent that from happening to other freelancers.

angela-baas
Angela B Member Since: Jun 24, 2017
1 of 8

I recently had a candidacy with a client, who is called **Edited for Community Guidelines** on upwork, but called herself **Edited for Community Guidelines**. We started working on Skype, I know your policy on Skype, but I'm just doing this to warn others. We talked, and I was hired after I made a test article. (The job was writing articles, possible long term work.) After that, I made four more articles for Isabel, or Willa, I don't know. Then on Friday, the day I was supposed to be paid, she became unresponsive on Skype, and upwork. I tried messaging her but she hasn't come online since. I also wasn't paid. So, I want to warn others that Willa or Isabel might not pay you.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

NEVER work without an Upwork contract, because this is EXACTLY what will happen when you do.

A "candidacy" means that you are NOT (yet) hired. There is nothing wrong with discussing things with clients on Skype, as long as you do not actually do any work until you are hired on Upwork, either with a funded fixed rate contract, or an hourly contract, and the client's payment method is verified.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
3 of 8

**Edited for Community Guidelines** are fake. Never start working unless you have an active contract under "My Jobs". That's the best way not to get scammed. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
nazim_expertee
Nazim H Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
4 of 8

Good. I support all above remarks.

Thanks

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 8

Hi Angela,

As Petra and Katrina pointed out already, you'll need to make sure you have an active contract before you start working with a client. Otherwise they won't be able to pay you and you won't be able to benefit from Upwork Protection. We'll also review the client you are referring to and take actions if needed.

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

Angela: Thank you for your report. I am glad that you learned from your mistakes and won't make the same mistakes again in the future.

This kind of free work done by freelancers obviously drags the platform down for all of us, so it is good when we work together to avoid letting this happen.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 8

. So, I want to warn others that Willa or Isabel might not pay you.

IMO I don't think that warning will work. There have been many many posts here, refering to the same scams over and over, and those posters usually say what you say above. But as those past warnings did not work for you your statement (warning above) will not work for other freelancers until they've actually been scammed.

Did you get paid for that test article? That's giving away free samples. All the client has to do is to ask 6 other freelancers for a test sample and she has her job completed for free. Besides tests, and samples relevent to the job is against Upwork's TOS.

Did the client fund escrow before you started working? Promises don't pay bills or buy groceries. NEVER start a job unless escrow is FULLY funded either for the entire job or for each milestone, if any, as they come up. Also make sure the client's account is verified.

Please take the time to read about the scams here so you don't fall for any more. Hint (there are no new scams, it's the same ones over and over.)

angela-baas
Angela B Member Since: Jun 24, 2017
8 of 8

Thank you for your input, I am very new to this kind of work, and I was so glad to have an opportunity to make money that I did not visit the forum to see if I would be in any danger of scams, but maybe that was naive. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS