🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client mistakingly set up Weekly retainer...
Page options
gyapongphoto
Community Member

Client mistakingly set up Weekly retainer (Salary) instead of Hourly only

Hi there, 

I have a client who I have been working with for 2 weeks now. Work is going on great and there is no bad blood between us. Today he realized that he has been billed $55 as a weekly retainer twice (Last Monday and this Monday) in addition to the hours I worked in the last two weeks. 

He issued two refunds and reached out to me about how to go about it. The thing is that I have only received one payment of the $55 weekly retainer (Haven't even been paid my hourly work by Upwork) so even if I wanted to refund, I am not sure I will be able to because I haven't received both retainers.

The client is happy with my work but basically only needs his $110 refunded back to him. He checked and realized he can edit the number of hours and hourly rate but not the weekly rate. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. How does he get his $110 ($55X2) which from my overview, have only received one?

2. I honestly DO NOT want this refund to go against my 100% JS because this is literally not my fault and out of my control. Will a refund affect it? (I've read that it wouldn't but I kinda feel that it is a sign of client dissatisfaction).

3. What happens to the service fee that was charged on the first retainer paid? Will Upwork send the client back the 20% service fee to make the full amount (Because I only have 80%)?

4. What is the best way to proceed without the weekly retainer and with only an hourly contract?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yaw,

The contract was originally set up by your client and accepted by yourself with the weekly limit for logged hours AND a Recurring Weekly Payment ("Salary.")

You can find more information about how to issue the remaining refund here.

Please note that refunds don't affect Job Success Scores.

Regardless of the type of transaction (hourly payment, fixed-price, recurring weekly payment, bonus, etc.,) when it's refunded, the service fee for it is refunded as well.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yaw,

The contract was originally set up by your client and accepted by yourself with the weekly limit for logged hours AND a Recurring Weekly Payment ("Salary.")

You can find more information about how to issue the remaining refund here.

Please note that refunds don't affect Job Success Scores.

Regardless of the type of transaction (hourly payment, fixed-price, recurring weekly payment, bonus, etc.,) when it's refunded, the service fee for it is refunded as well.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you Bojan!

nohaeid
Community Member

Hi Yaw, 

I am nearly facing the same problem you have with a client of mine, but I noticed that the fees are only 10% for this contract and I was wondering if the same happens with you. Are the fees for the weekly retainer 10% only?

Thanks!

petra_r
Community Member

Noha E wrote:

Are the fees for the weekly retainer 10% only?

The weekly retainer has nothing at all to do with the fees, the fees are the same for contracts with a weekly retainer as they are for any other contract.

The fee on a featured job start at 10% when you are top rated. The contract comes from a featured job post, and you're top rated, so it's at 10 %. Nothing to do with it being a job with a retainer.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Yaw B.,

I had a client mistakenly add a weekly retainer/salary.

At the time it was difficult to figure out the problem because the charge was shown as one thing but a search in the Upwork support database had no reference to the same term.

I hope Upwork has improved its systems since then, but, if I remember correctly, the client had to cancel the contract and replace it with a new correct one with the right payment arrangement.

I refunded all payments to me under the original contract and was paid as agreed under the new contract.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths