Did you mean: 

Client moved the Goal posts

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
Pete L Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
1 of 7

Hi 

I proposed for a job, I was accepted.

Once accepted I completed some documentation via Skype and received this message.

" I'll give you the guide first, then let me know if you want to continue so that I can create your account in our system "

The Guide had information that wasn't explained in the initial job ofer, if it was there I wouldn't have applied.

I was immedaitely suspicious, and felt they must have a lot of Freelancers reject the terms after accepting the job. So I cast a wary eye over their guide. It was written poorly ( an understatatement to say the least)  it was confusing and written by a non native english speaker ( I have no problems with that, if they convey their requirements in a way that can be understood). I read the guide 3 times and finally gave up, thinking that if they can't express the requirements correctly , I would be onto a loser form the start.

There was an extensive penalty system for errors, which i felt was fair if I could understand what they wanted in the first place!!

So I rejected and closed the contract.

In doing so, did that affect my JSS?

Pete

in cool Bangkok, well it has to be cooler for a few days at least, it is winterish.

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
2 of 7

Also

Does my score take a negative kick If I close an " inactive" Active Candidacy?

I have also closed one of those jobs as the client stopped responding, ( Not just to me, also to other Freelancers)

And have another sat there for 23 days, i am wondering if I should close that too.

Pete

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
3 of 7

I have just found this

• Jobs with no earnings or no feedback become counted in your score, either because they were closed or because several months have passed since you received a payment.

So I assume the fact that I closed the job due to a client misleading me about the workflow, i am punished? As he hasn't left feedback, i didn't get the opportunity to leave feedback either.

Since then the client , who is still advertising ahas increased his offers, and also explained more about the guide.

I don't have many jobs, 4 completed and 2 ongoing and 5 weeks on Upwork, so i feel the one time hit by a client that has misrepresented himslef is unfair.

Pete

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 7

Hi Peter, 

I checked your account and can see that the client never offered a formal contract to you. As such, this will not affect your JSS. Withdrawing applications from job offers does not affect your JSS and you won’t be penalized by Upwork for withdrawing a proposal or declining an offer.

~ Avery
Upwork
lairdpeter424
Community Leader
5 of 7

Thank you

Then another question

How can I have a 75% JSS when I have 4 completed jobs with 4.45, 5, 5 and 5 and 2  hourly contracts one for over a month and one going for 2 weeks totalling over 120 hrs billed.

Pete

Confused in Bangkok

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 7

Hi Peter, 

Your JSS is calculated based on both your public, and private feedback, long term-relationships, repeat clients, and contracts without activity, or if you have excessive lack of feedback. You may read this help article to understand how your success score is computed, and this blog post to help you become successful on the platform. 

~ Avery
Upwork
lairdpeter424
Community Leader
7 of 7

Yes

Read them before.

I still can't understand why 4 completed tasks with 4.45,5,5,and 5 , one task waiting for Review on payment and 2 hourly contracts of 120 hrs, no negative reviews and still 75% .

Public feedback 4.45,5,5 and 5

1 client with 1oo hrs long term

1 client with 20 hrs long term

I client waiting to review

2 of my completed tasks were one client , therefore a repeat customer.

It seems to be a black magic number that is undefineable from a Freelancer point of view.

Pete

Still confused

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS