🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client name ** blocked me after project compl...
Page options
prisai
Community Member

Client name ** blocked me after project completion without payment. How to report this issu

I worked for the proposal when client named **Edited for Community Guidelines** reaches me in message after seeing my proposal. And it was billed only for 6 hours even if it was stated 10-30 hours of work in his job posting. I was surprised to see the client blocked me after project submission without payment. How to resolve this.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

31 REPLIES 31
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client... me after project completion without payment."

Clients may block freelancers at any time. That is their right. That is fine. Freelancers may block clients.

re: "How to report this issue?"

There is nothing to report. You need to learn how to use Upwork properly. We can answer your questions here.

re: "I was surprised to see the client blocked me after project submission without payment. How to resolve this."

If a client blocks you in the Upwork Messages tool, that has nothing to do with payment.

When you log hours, you are automatically paid for those hours.

It DOES NOT MATTER if a client blocks you. It DOES NOT MATTER if a client pauses the contract. Or if a client closes the contract.

As a freelancer, you still get paid automatically for the time that you log.

In fact, with Upwork Payment Protection, you get paid by Upwork - out of their pocket - even if the client does something underhanded like tries to block the credit card payment.

So I have nothing to worry about here.

I was logging time using the desktop time-tracker application. The client was payment verified when I started. The work diary screens show that I was working on the client's project - not watching Netflix or something. I wrote adequate memos. My mouse/keyboard activity was sufficient. I did not log time past the maximum weekly allowed hours.

Thus: I am guaranteed to be paid for all of the hours that I worked, regardless of what the client does.

I did not use the desktop tracker. How to use it for my future projects to avoid these issues.
He reached out in message for project and now he stated he never Signed a contract. Moreover is there any way to reach upwork now for this issue.

re: "I did not use the desktop tracker."

That's okay!

As long as the client is honest, you will still be paid for the time that you logged manually.

In fact, even if the client is dishonest, you will be paid... as long as the client doesn't know how to dispute manual time, or decides not to do so.

re: "How to use it for my future projects to avoid these issues."

It is very easy to use. Download it and click a button when you start working on the project. Read more here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211064098-Log-Time-with-the-Desktop-App

He reached out in message for project and now he stated he never Signed a contract. Moreover is there any way to reach upwork now for this issue. "

re: "He reached out in message for project and now he stated he never Signed a contract."

It DOES NOT MATTER if he says he never "signed a contract."

What matters is whether or not you had an official contract in place. If he clicked the "Hire" button on his side, and then you clicked the Accept button to create an official Upwork contract, then you will be paid automatically for all of the time that you logged manually in the work diary.

re: "Moreover is there any way to reach Upwork now for this issue."

No.
It is not Upwork's intention that you contact them about something like this.

If you had an official contract in place and you logged time, then you will be paid automatically. There is no reason to contact Upwork. If you did NOT have a contract in place, then it is not Upwork's intention that you get paid. There is NO REASON for you to contact Upwork about this project.

If you do not understand anything and want to ask questions, then you may ask those questions right here in this thread.

prisai
Community Member

How to access my payment protection With upwork if I’m not used desktop time tracker for this project. Any guidance please

re: "How to access my payment protection with Upwork if I’m not used desktop time tracker for this project."

Don't worry about that.

Upwork Payment Protection is only for freelancers who logged time using the desktop time-tracker.

If you do that, you don't need to "access" it. Upwork just AUTOMATICALLY pays you money. It's great.

For future reference, you can always check to see whether or not you have an active contract in place by looking here: Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

Also:
If you do not have an active job, you won't be able to log time in the desktop time-tracker.

Pri:
You have learned a lot today. This is really valuable information. Don't try to get paid for that project. Focus on learning from your mistakes and not making the same mistakes in the future.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Pri, you mistakenly worked for free and there isn't much Upwork can do. In the future, make sure you receive and OFFER through Upwork and accept it so you have a CONTRACT before you do any work. You will have gotten a notification that the client sent an offer which will take you to a special screen to accept the offer. Anything done through messaging is not a contract.
lysis10
Community Member

Pri M wrote:
I did not use the desktop tracker. How to use it for my future projects to avoid these issues.
He reached out in message for project and now he stated he never Signed a contract. Moreover is there any way to reach upwork now for this issue.

The job post asks for an FDA expert. You have these credentials?

prisai
Community Member

Yes
prisai
Community Member

This client didn’t send me hire link. He reached only by message
prisai
Community Member

His terms of proposal is $50-$125, 10-30 hours of work but I never overcharged. I proposed for $55 and claimed for only 6 hours.

re: "This client didn’t send me hire link. He reached only by message"

re: "His terms of proposal is $50-$125, 10-30 hours of work but I never overcharged. I proposed for $55 and claimed for only 6 hours"

Pri: There was no contract. These numbers don't matter now. This client has already made it clear that he does not want to hire you. This matter is over.

Reaching out by message doesn't count. An active Upwork contract is what counts.

Any work that you did for this project will not be paid. Therefore, the work belongs to you. Feel free to post the work in your portfolio if it is appropriate to do so.

If he does not want to hire me, why he is reaching in messages with proposal. I clearly stated I will submit the completed work, he also agreed

re: "If he does not want to hire me, why he is reaching in messages with proposal. I clearly stated I will submit the completed work, he also agreed"

You said that he blocked you.

If you hear from him at all, then you may tell him that yes, you are willing to work for him after he clicks the Hire button and sends you a contract offer.

You will not contact him first. You will wait to hear from him. You will not contact Upwork Support to ask for help.

You will wait.

If he contacts you, then come here and tell us about what he says. We will help you decide what to do next.

prisai
Community Member

Please let me know for your advice because inspite of completing the work, even if we are not paid, it is okay, but the client can’t quickly decline proposal after Making us worked through

Your involvement with this client and his project is now over.

You do not owe anything to this client.

It is okay.

Is it not safe to accept someone’s proposal through messages
prisai
Community Member

Looking for your valuable reply

Hi Pri,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. It's important to note that you should never start working without an active contract, which would show on your My Jobs page.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Additionally, know that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your profile photo needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. Please check this help article for more information on how to update your profile photo.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
prisai
Community Member

Kindly someone guide me how to report an issue if client blocked me after submitting completed project work. Here is the link of that proposal:
Need FDA Expert to create dietary supplement label for supplement softgels and the person who contacted me is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Pri M wrote:
Kindly someone guide me how to report an issue if client blocked me after submitting completed project work.

What are you planning to report?

Were you actually hired? Hourly or fixed rate? What do you see on your Reports Overview?

"Where is my money?""Where is my money?"

prisai
Community Member

Hi,
The upwork client **Edited for Community Guidelines** reached me in message for his proposal, I
completed the proposal and submitted him the report.When I messaged him I
worked for 6 hours to this proposal, he replied back he can’t pay as he not
undersigned a contract. I did not use desktop app of time tracker and don’t
know how to claim for my work

prisai
Community Member

How can other upwork community freelancers be saved from taking projects
with this type of client who are blocking after getting work. Kindly upwork
administrators can take the necessary steps to help potential freelancers
from payment issues

Pri M wrote:
How can other upwork community freelancers be saved from taking projects
with this type of client who are blocking after getting work. Kindly upwork
administrators can take the necessary steps to help potential freelancers
from payment issues

He probably did not want to get into trouble paying you, as you are clearly a child. 

You need to let this one go and learn from it. There is nothing that can be done if you don't use the framework that is in place to keep freelancers safe. And please no more proposals until you change the pic! 

Profile Picture is not the matter, completed
professional work matters😊
a_lipsey
Community Member

Pri, completed professional work comes from freelancers who understand the platform and how to use it. You do not, including using a disallowed type of profile pic. Read the things that were linked to you in this thread before you send anymore proposals or do anymore "work."
prisai
Community Member

Amanda, jus think from worker’s perspective. I posted in community to discuss what can be done if such issue happened. Better post appropriate solutions rather commenting how we look on our profile pic.
joansands
Community Member

Pri - I believe it is against Upwork's Terms of Service for any freelancer to post a picture that is not a true picture of themselves. So, in fact, your picture is of a baby and it is not a picture of you. Do you want to have your account terminated because you have not posted a proper picture? Secondly, you keep saying a client sent you a proposal. Client's don't send proposals. Freelancers send proposals to clients. If a client wants to hire you, they will send you an offer to do a job. If you accept the offer, you have a contract. If you do not have a contract, even if you do free work for a client, you will not get paid.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Pri M wrote:
Amanda, jus think from worker’s perspective. I posted in community to discuss what can be done if such issue happened. Better post appropriate solutions rather commenting how we look on our profile pic.

Pri, we have all, including myself, posted solutions to you regarding you situation, and you refuse to understand them. You need to learn the rules of this platform. The way workers avoid working for free is by making sure they have an active contract, not just words in the message center, that shows they've been hired, before doing any work. I have said this, others have said this. There is not other protection needed other than you following the rules of the platform. BTW, one of those rules have to do with your profile pic being a current picture of you, not someone else, and not you as a baby. That is why myself and another commented on it. 

tlbp
Community Member

Upwork has a complicated and lengthy Terms of Service and other related content that explains exactly who will get paid and when. If you didn't get a contract offer from the client and accept it, you worked for free. Following Upwork's systems--including offer and acceptance before doing work, is how Upwork protects freelancers. 
Now, you are getting a hostile response because you are demanding to know why Upwork isn't protecting you while at the same time flaunting the rules that every other freelancer must follow to be protected. You cannot expect solidarity from people who take the time to learn and follow the rules while blatantly and repeatedly demonstrating your disdain for those rules.

27915a34
Community Member

What is a desk top tracker

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for your message. Upwork Desktop App lets you track your time on the Hourly contracts, message clients, and use our Zoom video integration for high-quality video calls. To ensure your client is invoiced automatically on the Hourly contracts and you benefit from Upwork Hourly Protection, make sure you use Upwork Desktop App to log time on hourly projects. By doing so and following the steps outlined in our Payment Protection, a freelancer is taking all of the necessary steps to have their payments covered. You can download the Desktop App from this link.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members