🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client need me to fill a survey form
Page options
renitanur93
Community Member

Client need me to fill a survey form

Hi, I'm not sure about something

So I just got invitation for interview. When I read the job description, there's a survey form link that I need to fill and write my email address inside if I want to submit a proposal (so it's submit proposal through upwork & fill the google form). Is something like this allowed? I haven't submit the form because I'm afraid I will violate Upwork's TOS. The client is Upwork's Plus Client.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Renita:
A survey is not a job interview.

A freelancer doesn't "fill out a survey" in order to get a job.

But a client CAN hire a freelancer to fill out a survey.

If the survey is super simple, like something with three questions:
- When working on a project, what communication tool do you prefer to talk to clients?
- Are you available to work on weekends?
- How soon can you start?

Something like that is reasonable and to be expected... These are "questions a client asks before hiring."

We usually would not refer to this is a "survey."

If a client is actually asking you to fill out a survey, then it sounds like the client is violating Upwork ToS by asking you to do free work.

And it sounds like the client is trying to get people to participate in a survey for free by manipulating the Upwork system in a way that violates Upwork ToS.

I don't know that YOU would be violating Upwork ToS by fillling out the survey. But you would probably just be wasting your time.

If the survey asks questions that are clearly not related to hiring you, then this is very suspicious.

If it was me, and I was presented with a survey that I knew was the client's END GOAL (and not a reasonable step toward hiring me), then I would tell the client:

"I saw the survey. Yes, I wlll be happy to complete this survey after you have hired me to do so using an hourly contract."

yitwail
Community Member

@renitanur93 wrote:

The client is Upwork's Plus Client.

Renita, that means nothing. At best, they paid a fee to upgrade their membership, but Upwork also has promos that allow new clients to upgrade to Plus for free. Either way, they need a plus membership to send out a ton of invitations. If the client has a hiring history at Upwork, that's different.

Renita Nur R wrote:

Hi, I'm not sure about something

So I just got invitation for interview. When I read the job description, there's a survey form link that I need to fill and write my email address inside if I want to submit a proposal (so it's submit proposal through upwork & fill the google form). Is something like this allowed? I haven't submit the form because I'm afraid I will violate Upwork's TOS. The client is Upwork's Plus Client.

Thank you!

When you are new to Upwork, nearly every invitation you receive will be a scam. The scammers target  people who still have some trust in the world or don't know how the platform works. The exceptions are rare. You might encounter a client who just wants to give new freelancers a chance. However, if anything about the invitation appears suspicious, assume it is a fraud, ignore and/or report it. 

Following the rules and not revealing your personal information was smart. The scammers will have to look for someone else to trick now. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members