🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client needs some small revision on work ...
Page options
shehabelabnoudyy
Community Member

Client needs some small revision on work its an hourly contract should I turn on the time tracker ?

Hi,

My question is simply the subject title

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Shehab A wrote:

Hi,

My question is simply the subject title

Thank you

Personally, if the revision was caused by me making a mistake, or the "fix" is literally a couple of or 5 minutes, I do not turn the tracker on.

If the client got perfectly what they asked for and simply changed their mind, and it takes more than 10 minutes, I do track.

I never charge for fixing my mistakes.

It also depends on how much goodwill there is with a certain client and how much I value them and vice versa.

browersr
Community Member

Agree fully with Petra as to mistakes and the level of goodwill for small items. However, and this is a big one, these things do add up. Because the timer is not on, I have not tracked it; however, I have absolutely given away many dozens of hours easily through the notion of something being "small". Sometimes it is small and those add  up. Other times it's just me consulting with a client and I expect to spend a few minutes in messaging only for it to turn out much longer than that (and I failed to turn the timer on). Examples abound. I have tried to be more disciplined about this given my own observations and natural tendency to to jump in for quick help and advice. This is totally on me and not the client. 

So, it is rather difficult to answer your question as there are so many factors that you need to weigh. Other than the mistake angle, you are performing professional work and should be paid for it. Since UW time tracking is an aggregation over the week, it's not as if you are submitting an invoice to a client with 5 minutes here and 8 minutes there. They'll get one combined time so it should not feel like nickle and dime to them.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths