Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client not cooperating

bella56
Community Leader
Isabel S Member Since: Jul 23, 2016
1 of 17

Hi.

I have been battling with the same issue with a client since the middle of September. Despite much back-and-forth correspondence she has not given me a milestone. She says she is new to Upwork and doesn't know how to do it, so I suggested getting in touch with you lot, where I have always got an answer to any question. Still no result - and no milestone. She takes days to answer any queries and  refuse to turn away better-paying work while waiting for her. I went on holiday for two weeks and came back and haven't heard a thing, although I did say to her that I absolutely could not proceed without a milestone. (And turn away better-paying clients!) Am I justified in withdrawing my propsal and will Upwork penalise me?

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
2 of 17

Project has been awarded to you or not yet?

bella56
Community Leader
3 of 17

No, not yet. I just wanted to make sure I was justified in walking away.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 17
Isabel, there is no Upwork regulation against working on more than one contract at a time, so there’s no need for you to turn down other work while waiting for a milestone.
5 of 17

bella56
Community Leader
6 of 17

I have a lot of other work but room for one more small project. I don't want my valuable time wasted, that's all. Thanks for answering

bella56
Community Leader
7 of 17

I have a lot of other work - that's the problem. I'd rather fit in stuff from people who are paying me, besides, without a milestone I may not be paid, and I know there are a lot of fake people who like to mess us around.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
8 of 17

Until you are hired you can’t do any work and if the client can’t work out how to hire you they will never pay you anyway. Just walk away, you are not hired, you don’t have a contract by the sound of it (it is impossible to start a fixed rate contract without funding a milestone) so you owe the client nothing (and the client owes you nothing either)

View solution in original post

bella56
Community Leader
9 of 17

Thank you, Petra. I will be courteous enough to let her know what I am doing before I do it. I have written two of the ten stories she ordered, but I can use those for other projects since they haven't been published yet. I can't tell you how many times I have BEGGED for those milestones! I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get into trouble. I always get a proper answer from the community whenever I ask!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 17

@Isabel S wrote:

I have written two of the ten stories she ordered, but I can use those for other projects since they haven't been published yet.

What do you mean? You weren't hired.... Why would you do 20% of the work without being hired? Please tell me you never sent them to her....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS