🐈 Community

Client not doing their part?

I have a client in which I have completed work for before. They asked me to add products to their facebook store for them in which I was very willing to do and did all the backup work for (Making a list of what products, downloading pictures of products, and getting general information and what the listing would need.) When I went to add the products I noticed that the store was not yet set up and that she needs to add her business information and how she would receive her payments- I notified her of this and I got a very vague response of "Ok." 

It is now 2 days past the milestone deadline and its quite frustrating waiting for her to do this. I would like to still work for her in the future but is there a way to cancel that milestone until she decides she is willing to complete this? 

3 REPLIES 3

What percentage of the work encompassed in the milestone have you completed, and what percentage has to wait until the client does her part? What is your tolerance level for waiting on payment for the work that's done?

Depending on the answers, you could ask the client to break the milestone in two and approve the portion you've completed. That's a fair request, although whether it's worthwhile depends on how much money is involved and how long you're comfortable waiting for it.

Re. the remaining work you will need to complete once she has done what she needs to do: how long will that take you? Chances are, once she's finally ready, she'll want that done without delay. Can you easily let that hang loose on your calendar, knowing it could hit at any time? I don't know anything about the tasks you've described but in my work, I may be able to turn something around in two days next week, but if it hits my desk three weeks later, it may take me a week to get to it.

craiggabriel

Also, the milestone deadline is just an informal understanding between you and your client. It's not something Upwork-enforced, where Upwork will ding your pay or rating or anything for missing a deadline.

The client can take failure to meet the deadline into account when leaving feedback (in the trivial sense that they can take anything they please into account when leaving feedback), but certainly one would hope that they would not do so in a case like this where your failure to meet a deadline is totally their fault.

undefined:

Also, the milestone deadline is just an informal understanding between you and your client. It's not something Upwork-enforced, where Upwork will ding your pay or rating or anything for missing a deadline.

In theory, couldn't a client use failure to meet a deadline as grounds to dispute a milestone payment? In this case, of course, a conversation would be in order about completion not being possible until the client performed certain tasks. But I'm not sure it's accurate to say, categorically, that "a milestone deadline is just an informal understanding." 

The client can take failure to meet the deadline into account when leaving feedback (in the trivial sense that they can take anything they please into account when leaving feedback), but certainly one would hope that they would not do so in a case like this where your failure to meet a deadline is totally their fault.

Those words are etched over the gateway to the universal archive where unhappy feedback comments (and unpaid invoices) live. 

Learning Paths