Community Member

Client not funding milestone

He hasn't answered me since Tuesday.
6 REPLIES 6
colettelewis
Community Member

Dante H wrote:

He hasn't answered me since Tuesday.

If you delivered the work, there is not a lot you can do, except to hope that he will honour the payment. Never deliver work on a fixed-price job that has not been funded - no matter how much you trust the client. He might come back to you if he has already paid one milestone. 

I didn't delivered the work yet, but I have already finished the work unfortunately, he was replying me very quick before, so I expected he would fund as he already paid me three milestones.

Dante H wrote:

I didn't delivered the work yet, but I have already finished the work unfortunately, he was replying me very quick before, so I expected he would fund as he already paid me three milestones.

That is good! So maybe he has some business or family problem that is holding him up. Write a polite letter saying that you hope he is OK and that you have the next batch of work ready as soon as he funds the next milestone - and then wait. I think he will probably come back to you. 

Clients are human - they have problems; they go on holiday; they get sick - be patient ... 

If you have already finished some work but haven't delivered it... that means you don't need to do more work in order to get paid.

Don't turn over any work for unfunded milestones.

Wait to get paid paid for the latest actually-funded milestone.

As soon as you have been paid for that, send a single message stating that the next milestone is "Task X: Create a J-93 file for the Hansen account. If you fund a $65 payment for this milestone, then I will be able to provide the file."

No other messages. Just wait. When the client wants to proceed, she will contact you and pay you for the work or fund escrow for the next task.

editorfreelancer
Community Member

I did that early on and then freaked out that I wouldn't get paid. Live and learn and wait for the funding.

lucioric
Community Member

Ah, I have such kind of fuzzy clients. They expect jobs and respond next christmas. When you see how inconstant are them, you accept other work and are unable to fullfill their delivery, they get angry as if they were no fuzzy theirselves.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths