🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client not leaving feedback. How likely i...
Page options
karkas44
Community Member

Client not leaving feedback. How likely is it to affect JSS?

Hello,

I'm still a new freelancer without any JSS calculated. I have done 5 jobs and all my clients have left me a 5 star feedback. My third and current client is new to Upwork too, even more than I am, and when we started working they didn't know how to leave feedback.

We started the first project, I delivered what they requested, submitted for payment, they accepted the milestone and everything was great. We agreed to continue working and they created a new offer for a new contract; I thought it would've been better to add another milestone to the first contract because it's actually part of the same project, but just accepted the contract. Since they created this new contract without closing the first one, I decided to close it—never read that there was something wrong with a freelancer closing a contract. If there wouldn't have created a new one I would have asked them to close it themselves if there wasn't anything else they needed. When I closed it I left them feedback but then realized they didn't leave it for me. I asked them kindly to please leave feedback because it could probably affect my JSS. They told me they didn't know how  and I looked for a guide on how to do it for clients and sent them the link, but they didn't respond to that. I decided not to insist at the moment and continue working. When the second contract was closed they left feedback and review and then for the next part of the project they created a new one. I suggested them, in a "what do you think about creating new milestones for the same project?" kind of way, not to create new contracts for every part, but they didn't respond to that either. I finished this third contract and before submitting for payment I asked them if they considered that and also about the feedback for the first project, telling them that I enabled them to change it. Still no answer about the feedback, and about the new milestones instead of a new project, they said it wasn't clear for them; however, they closed it right away—they left feedback but no review. 

Since at this point, I really don't know how to insist, I'd like to know:

- How likely is this job without feedback to affect my JSS?

- Does a project with a 5 star feedback but without review affect my JSS too?

- Do several projects with the exact same name—like in the situation I just explained—look bad or something in a work history? Besides showing that we're probably not very savvy on this.

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Carlos C wrote:

1- How likely is this job without feedback to affect my JSS?

2- Does a project with a 5 star feedback but without review affect my JSS too?

3- Do several projects with the exact same name—like in the situation I just explained—look bad or something in a work history?

1 - It won't

2 - Not at all. The stars ARE feedback

3-  No, not a problem, as such, but a row of cheap little contracts from the same client might be interpreted as feedback building...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Carlos C wrote:

1- How likely is this job without feedback to affect my JSS?

2- Does a project with a 5 star feedback but without review affect my JSS too?

3- Do several projects with the exact same name—like in the situation I just explained—look bad or something in a work history?

1 - It won't

2 - Not at all. The stars ARE feedback

3-  No, not a problem, as such, but a row of cheap little contracts from the same client might be interpreted as feedback building...

karkas44
Community Member

Thank you very much for your reply, Petra.

You mean interpreted by Upwork or by potential clients, or both? I'd like to know if I should be worried by this posibility.

To avoid this being interpreted in this way. What else can I do? Probably tell the client this same thing so they create new milestones instead?  

petra_r
Community Member

Carlos C wrote:

You mean interpreted by Upwork or by potential clients, or both? I'd like to know if I should be worried by this posibility.

To avoid this being interpreted in this way. What else can I do? Probably tell the client this same thing so they create new milestones instead?  

I'd not "worry" about it, but it is much easier for clients to set up new milestones rather than new contracts, so maybe go that way in future.

karkas44
Community Member

Thanks again, Petra. These were the answers I was looking for.

roverup
Community Member

Upwork support told me that if you get too many people leaving no feedback / no stars that it will bring down your JSS.
petra_r
Community Member

Trevor C wrote:
Upwork support told me that if you get too many people leaving no feedback / no stars that it will bring down your JSS.

You'd have to have a hell of a lot. In your case it's a lot, but probably not enough to have affected you yet. There are people with over 40% and 100% JSS.

Why do you keep closing contracts rather than encouraging the clients to do it?

I have completed 5 job with 5star and all client are happy..but I saw my job success score is 88%..I don't understand..how to calculated Jss?my all client are happy with my work

Afzal Uz Zaman S wrote:

I have completed 5 job with 5star and all client are happy..but I saw my job success score is 88%..I don't understand..how to calculated Jss?my all client are happy with my work

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/JSS/td-p/432561/page/240

a6428715
Community Member

Hi Petra,

How will it affect JSS if the client doesn't even leave stars as review?

I am stuck with a client who has not responded to my request to close the contract (as it has been 3 months without any work).

And the project was a big one with a high amount. So, I am afraid it will greatly affect my JSS negatively. 

The client seems to have no interest at all in giving feedback. He has not provided feedback to any of the freelancers he had hired in his recent 8 closed contracts.  

petra_r
Community Member

Nilima N wrote:

How will it affect JSS if the client doesn't even leave stars as review?

It will not affect the JSS at all and stars ARE the feedback.

Nilima N wrote:

The client seems to have no interest at all in giving feedback. He has not provided feedback to any of the freelancers he had hired in his recent 8 closed contracts.  

Just close it yourself. Your JSS would only be affected if the client left poor feedback.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths