Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Client not officially and formally giving me an offer through Upwork's system

Highlighted
Active Member
Kevin R Member Since: Apr 16, 2018
1 of 13

So, a client has messaged me on Upwork and asked if I wanted to start. I said yes, and they began giving me instructions to set up an email and Craigslist account (the job is data entry related and consists of posting ads on Craigslist). I looked on my proposals page and the offers section still says 0 offers. So, the job is still officially under active candidacies. Would it be okay to start following these instructions or not do any work until I receive an offer to officially accept on Upwork? No milestones have been established either, by the way. I asked them about milestones, and they said they would discuss milestones after I set up the gmail and cragislist account, but should I even do that yet? I am new to Upwork, so I want to be sure that I am going by correct procedures in my situation (and I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

@ Kevin -- 

 

You are posting in the right place if you want good advice on how to avoid mistakes. Of course, reading through the forums will help. Most of the mistakes have been made before.

 

As to this: NEVER work without a contract. Never enter into a contract that fails to clearly define the scope of the work you will perform, the time in which the work will be carried out, and all expectations for deliverables.

 

Working "on spec" is a marvelous way to work without being paid. Promises are worth exactly ZERO dollars in cash. And never, ever, EVER be bullied or "shamed" into working by a client who tries to tell you that he or she doesn't have "the time" (a minute or two) to set up a contract (then you don't have the time to do the work) or that you are being "rude" or similar because your insistence on a contract shows that you don't "trust" the client. See how much your "trust" will buy you at the grocery store, or how many days' rent it will purchase from your landlord.

 

You are a professional. Work with a contract. That's how professionals do it. 

 

ETA: I would be very suspicious of any job that required me to set up a Craigslist account on behalf of someone else. Smells like a scam, anyway.

View solution in original post

Active Member
Jerson C Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
3 of 13

Hi Kevin, Don't work without a contract, Once they send you a properly contract with the Amount said on the job offer, you review it and Accept it, Otherwise, youll be working without any contract started, be carefull out there, have a nice day, welcome to upwork Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
4 of 13

@Jerson C wrote:

Hi Kevin, Don't work without a contract, Once they send you a properly contract with the Amount said on the job offer, you review it and Accept it, Otherwise, youll be working without any contract started, be carefull out there, have a nice day, welcome to upwork Smiley Happy 


 

@Jerson C: OMG. Has anyone ever told you that you look like Zak Bagans??? Holy cow, that's uncanny.

 

@the OP: I agree...please, please, please please...do not do ANY work here on UW without a job offer sent to you, and you having accepted it, and the notification that the job has begun, which will arrive in your email and will also show under your Alerts up top.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 13

@Kevin R wrote:

So, a client has messaged me on Upwork and asked if I wanted to start. I said yes, and they began giving me instructions to set up an email and Craigslist account (the job is data entry related and consists of posting ads on Craigslist). I looked on my proposals page and the offers section still says 0 offers. So, the job is still officially under active candidacies. Would it be okay to start following these instructions or not do any work until I receive an offer to officially accept on Upwork? No milestones have been established either, by the way. I asked them about milestones, and they said they would discuss milestones after I set up the gmail and cragislist account, but should I even do that yet? I am new to Upwork, so I want to be sure that I am going by correct procedures in my situation (and I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum).


 

What Janean said, and this job is a scam. Flag asap and stop communicating with this "client".

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
6 of 13

Hello Kevin,

 

Please avoid doing any work for clients without signing any contract. Please read this article to help you avoid questionable jobs. Thank you and good luck!


Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 13

@Ryan C wrote:

Hello Kevin,

 

Please avoid doing any work for clients without signing any contract. Please read this article to help you avoid questionable jobs. Thank you and good luck!


 Ryan,

 

Can you elaborate, please? It was my understanding that jobs of the type he's describing are not allowed and should be flagged.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 13

@Virginia F wrote:

@Ryan C wrote:

Hello Kevin,

 

Please avoid doing any work for clients without signing any contract. Please read this article to help you avoid questionable jobs. Thank you and good luck!


 Ryan,

 

Can you elaborate, please? It was my understanding that jobs of the type he's describing are not allowed and should be flagged.


 Crickets .... always crickets.

Highlighted
Moderator
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 13

Hi Virginia, 

While Ryan may have made an error with his closing remark, he provided the correct resource to help Kevin work safely on Upwork. 

We'll make sure that our team will be careful when posting in the Community. Thank you for flagging this!


-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 13

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Virginia, 

While Ryan may have made an error with his closing remark, he provided the correct resource to help Kevin work safely on Upwork. 

We'll make sure that our team will be careful when posting in the Community. Thank you for flagging this!


What error? All I'm trying to find out is whether or not those Craigslist jobs such as the one the OP was asking about are allowed.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS