🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client not paying
Page options
m_engelbrecht
Community Member

Client not paying

I worked on a project with a client for about a year (the work was completed around March 2019). Due to project scope, the deadline had to be extended, which the client had no problem with. The client failed to renew the contract and now claims that there are no funds available to pay me.

Can someone please assist?

4 REPLIES 4
tlbp
Community Member

What do you mean the client failed to renew the contract? Was the contract closed or paused? Did you work the entire time without any milestones being released? If there is no longer any money in escrow, then you may be out of luck. Escrow is your only protection for fixed price work.
I think you have been scammed. Of course, if the client doesn't pay, the work you have completed belongs to you. 

versailles
Community Member

Mandy E wrote:

I worked on a project with a client for about a year (the work was completed around March 2019). Due to project scope, the deadline had to be extended, which the client had no problem with. The client failed to renew the contract and now claims that there are no funds available to pay me.

Can someone please assist?

Was it an hourly or a fixed-price contract, it should show here: My jobs

It is practically impossible to not get paid on Upwork since you've got payment protection.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Presumably there was originally a funded milestone, but that went delinquent after 90 days without payments and the contract automatically closed (after various warnings.)

This returned the funds to the client.

The only thing that can be done at this stage is for the client to hire the OP again and pay her. However, if the client doesn't feel like it, there is nothing anyone can do.

Who works on something for a year, mostly without a contract, without getting paid anything at all?

kat303
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Presumably there was originally a funded milestone, but that went delinquent after 90 days without payments and the contract automatically closed (after various warnings.)

This returned the funds to the client.

The only thing that can be done at this stage is for the client to hire the OP again and pay her. However, if the client doesn't feel like it, there is nothing anyone can do.

Who works on something for a year, mostly without a contract, without getting paid anything at all?

I'll take a guess and say Mandy?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths