🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client not paying
Page options
1dfd58f0
Community Member

Client not paying

hello, I am new to upwork and have just taken on my first client who refused to pay me for the time spent in to a project. They asked me to do a test sketch but told me that it didn't meet their expectations and when I asked if I would still be paid for my time they said that only if I had passed their test. I've tried to contact upwork on the matter and have flagged the client but how will I be paid for the time I lost? 

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Valerie,

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you've had. Our team will investigate the client further for any violations and will take proper actions.
Please keep in mind that In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on a official contract and fulfill the criteria required. To learn more about how to protect yourself and about getting started on Upwork, check out our resources Here as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
tlbp
Community Member

When you are a freelancer, you are operating a business. So it is up to you to make sure you take the necessary steps to be paid. On the Upwork platform, getting paid doesn't happen if you don't have a contract. Did the client offer you a contract and did you accept it? If not, then Upwork won't be able to help you. You won't be getting paid for your time. 

You retain ownership of the work and can use it in your portfolio though. 

re: "client not paying"

It means the freelancer made a mistake.

The freelancer used the Upwork system incorrectly.

This is good news.

It means that the freelancer has the power to change how things happen in the future.

The freelancer can learn what she did wrong, and this avoid making that mistake again.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members