🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client not responding on a contract- How shou...
Page options
shruti8899
Community Member

Client not responding on a contract- How should I proceed?

Hello Upwork community,

A month ago I was hired for a project on a fixed price basis. The client gave me a milestone - approved the work- gave me another milestone. Now when I submitted work for this milestone I got no reply, I waited for 14 days so my money was paid but the contract is still active (with no new milestones). My question is what action should I take next? Should I leave this contract as it is? Should I message the client asking clarification on the situation? Can client demand work on more milestones after some time cause at that time I might be busy with other projects? Does Upwork terminate inactive contracts on its own? If so after how many days? I will appreciate any helpful advice in this regard as it was my first contract here on Upwork. Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Shruti S wrote:

My question is what action should I take next? Should I leave this contract as it is? Should I message the client asking clarification on the situation? Can client demand work on more milestones after some time cause at that time I might be busy with other projects? Does Upwork terminate inactive contracts on its own? If so after how many days? I will appreciate any helpful advice in this regard as it was my first contract here on Upwork. Thank you

It's not hurting you, so you can wait a bit longer. Upwork only closes contracts after 3 months if there is money in Escrow, which is not the case here. You can send the client a message in a week or two, asking if there is anything else you can do for them and if not, would they mind closing the contract. If you hear nothing a week or so after that, you can close it from your end.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Shruti S wrote:

My question is what action should I take next? Should I leave this contract as it is? Should I message the client asking clarification on the situation? Can client demand work on more milestones after some time cause at that time I might be busy with other projects? Does Upwork terminate inactive contracts on its own? If so after how many days? I will appreciate any helpful advice in this regard as it was my first contract here on Upwork. Thank you

It's not hurting you, so you can wait a bit longer. Upwork only closes contracts after 3 months if there is money in Escrow, which is not the case here. You can send the client a message in a week or two, asking if there is anything else you can do for them and if not, would they mind closing the contract. If you hear nothing a week or so after that, you can close it from your end.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, It helped. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members