🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client not sure of her requirements
Page options
pallavi_graphics
Community Member

Client not sure of her requirements

Hi,

So I applied for a project and got response from client, due to frustration of not getting any project I did free sample. Then she made me change fonts, I did. Then she gave me full creative freedom to design what I think, I did, she liked it then she said ok we start with smaller quantity and then grow later, I agreed. Next day she said I don't have much budget and have other projects so I have to half the budget, I said ok. We signed contract on halved budget. She made me do several variations and then said I have too switch project from cards to a book interior, I said ok. Though she paid me very less (to which I agreed as I was signing other contract with her and not getting any reply from other clients) for the time I spent on cards and we signed a new contract. And now firstly, she is very unresponsive and slow, ok I understand that and bear with it. Secondly now everyday she is making new changes to the inside pages of book adding more stuff and not keeping it to be minimilistic as it was expected from cards.

So basically, she proposed a high budget then we sign on half of it. Then she pays a little and closes the job and gives me a new offer and keeps on increasing tasks everytime.

She actually is not sure of her requirements yet. If I knew how she is I would have asked her to make the second contract on hourly basis and not fixed price project.

What shall I do, how to deal with her?

Please help.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What shall I do, how to deal with her?"

You are correct in what you said at the end of your post... that you should have done this as an hourly contract.

And you should never have been doing work for free for this client.

So the question is about what to do NOW?

You are wasting your time with this client as long as she is using a fixed-price contract. This client is competely incapable of comprehending fixed-price contracts.

STOP doing any further work.

Stop sending the client any new files. You don't owe this client anything.

Go now to the contract listing and click the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

Send the client a simple message:

"Joyce,

Thank you for the opportunity to work on this project. The original specified task has been completed and it is now time to release the escrow payment. I look forward to continuing to help in any way that you need after that payment has been released."

After she releases payment, then you need to close the contract immediately.

If she asks for more work, then you tell her that you will do that work immediately after she hires you with an hourly contract.

That is it. There is no negotiation. There is no alternative. You are immovable, like a stone.

If she does not release payment, but instead asks you to do anything or asks you questions, or does anything else, your response is the same:

"Joyce, thank you for your note. We can talk about that after the current escrow payment has been released."

Every time. Same response. Don't give her any indication that you are reading her messages.

The main reason you need to do these things is to HELP HER.

Ultimately, it HARMS a client when she abuses a fixed-price contract. If you really care about this client and want to help her succeed, you must be firm and show some "tough love."

You need to help her do the right thing.

That was YOUR biggest mistake as a freelancer. You let the client sort of do whatever she wanted, which doesn't work with someone who does not know how to use Upwork properly.

So now it is time for you to help your client by helping her use Upwork correctly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What shall I do, how to deal with her?"

You are correct in what you said at the end of your post... that you should have done this as an hourly contract.

And you should never have been doing work for free for this client.

So the question is about what to do NOW?

You are wasting your time with this client as long as she is using a fixed-price contract. This client is competely incapable of comprehending fixed-price contracts.

STOP doing any further work.

Stop sending the client any new files. You don't owe this client anything.

Go now to the contract listing and click the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

Send the client a simple message:

"Joyce,

Thank you for the opportunity to work on this project. The original specified task has been completed and it is now time to release the escrow payment. I look forward to continuing to help in any way that you need after that payment has been released."

After she releases payment, then you need to close the contract immediately.

If she asks for more work, then you tell her that you will do that work immediately after she hires you with an hourly contract.

That is it. There is no negotiation. There is no alternative. You are immovable, like a stone.

If she does not release payment, but instead asks you to do anything or asks you questions, or does anything else, your response is the same:

"Joyce, thank you for your note. We can talk about that after the current escrow payment has been released."

Every time. Same response. Don't give her any indication that you are reading her messages.

The main reason you need to do these things is to HELP HER.

Ultimately, it HARMS a client when she abuses a fixed-price contract. If you really care about this client and want to help her succeed, you must be firm and show some "tough love."

You need to help her do the right thing.

That was YOUR biggest mistake as a freelancer. You let the client sort of do whatever she wanted, which doesn't work with someone who does not know how to use Upwork properly.

So now it is time for you to help your client by helping her use Upwork correctly.

Hey Preston,

Thanks for helping me and replying.

What if when i submit and ask for payment and she dosent release full payment and makes a partial payment to me, then i am still stuck with her. What to do in this situation? 

Just to let you know there are no milestone in this project.

Thanks,

Pallavi

Pallavi S wrote:

What if when i submit and ask for payment and she dosent release full payment and makes a partial payment to me, then i am still stuck with her. What to do in this situation? 

Just to let you know there are no milestone in this project.

There is always a milestone. 
If the client releases part of the funds you may have to dispute.

thank you Petra

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members