cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client not wanting to close a contract.

Jose Daniel C Member Since: Dec 1, 2018
1 of 8

Hello Upworkers, I would like your advice on this thing that is happening to me.

I have a client that wanted me to write some posts, which I did, and he liked them, and he paid me for them, everything fine. He told me that for the first 11 texts, he would pay me 5$ for each one, but also told me that we would negotiate the price for more texts. As soon as I sent him these texts, he stopped communicating back for more than a week, although he paid me. 9 days after paying me, he talks to me saying things about budget so he can't offer more money, and blah blah blah, I don't care, but he also told me that he would talk to me if he could offer more money (I guess this is the reason he does not close the contract?). I have told him since the last time he communicated with me four times to close the contract, and more than a week has passed. I just don't want to work with him anymore. Not that I have a problem with him apart from his horrendous communication, but I just want to get this contract closed and keep moving forward. Any advice? May I close the contract myself?

Thanks in advance.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

of course you can close the contract, but why the rush?

Highlighted
3 of 8

I really dislike dealing with unresponsive clients. I just don't want to work with him anymore. I am trying to act cautiously though, I don't want to receive negative feedback because he feels like dropping a 1-star review just for me closing the contract, I don't know. Would that feedback violate the ToS?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 8

Jose Daniel C wrote:

I really dislike dealing with unresponsive clients. I just don't want to work with him anymore. I am trying to act cautiously though, I don't want to receive negative feedback because he feels like dropping a 1-star review just for me closing the contract, I don't know. Would that feedback violate the ToS?

No, it would not violate the terms of service.

There is no need to "deal with" unresponsive clients. If they don't respond, leave them alone.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 8

Jose Daniel C wrote:

I have told him since the last time he communicated with me four times to close the contract, and more than a week has passed. I just don't want to work with him anymore. Not that I have a problem with him apart from his horrendous communication, but I just want to get this contract closed and keep moving forward. Any advice? May I close the contract myself?

Thanks in advance.

You told him 4 times? Ouch. Why are you so stressed out about this? Having the contract open for a few weeks does not hurt your JSS. 

Of course you can close the contract yourself, and it's advisable, because how likely is it that this client will leave good feedback for you now? 

6 of 8

I politely told him, I did not demand it or anything. He does not have a reason to leave negative feedback whatsoever! A period of 20 days basically ignoring me is pretty much a good reason for not wanting to work with somebody anymore, I suppose...

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 8

Either close the contract or leave it open, that's up to you. The rest, there's nothing you can do about.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 8

If:

- the client is unresponsive/not around any more

and

- you are worried about negative feedback...

Then closing the contract yourself may be a tactically sound move.

Because if the client isn't around and isn't paying attention to Upwork, he won't leave any feedback at all.

You don't want too many zero-feedback contracts, but a small proportion relative to your overall job history won't hurt you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS