🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client of a client reaching out to me dir...
Page options
afifield
Community Member

Client of a client reaching out to me directly

So I have a client who is reaching out to me directly by phone because of work I did with him for my client through upworks. I am still hired by that person but she is never online. This client of hers reached out by phone and email to me and wants me to do work for them. So question, is this considered against the rules to work with someone like that? I haven't accepted but they emailed today about it and when they called me I was suprised so I didn't say yes or no, just told them to email as I was busy at the time and it was late. For the client who hired me, it seems she has nothing to do with this client anymore and also has disappeared on me.  

I was thinking ethically I should let her know of course, I feel a bit caught in between with it. but in terms of upworks rules, would I need to bring the client to upwork if with the person who hired me its still in  2 year span? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Amanda F wrote:

So question, is this considered against the rules to work with someone like that?

You can work with that person through Upwork only.

Amanda F wrote:

I was thinking ethically I should let her know of course, I feel a bit caught in between with it. but in terms of upworks rules, would I need to bring the client to upwork if with the person who hired me its still in  2 year span? 

Yes.

It's one of Upwork's more controversial rules, and probably very hard to enforce, prove and police, but yes, according to the ToS, Upwork say they "own" the entire referral chain during the 2 year period...

See here:

Screenshot at Feb 01 08-25-30.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Amanda F wrote:

So question, is this considered against the rules to work with someone like that?

You can work with that person through Upwork only.

Amanda F wrote:

Yes.

It's one of Upwork's more controversial rules, and probably very hard to enforce, prove and police, but yes, according to the ToS, Upwork say they "own" the entire referral chain during the 2 year period...

See here:

Screenshot at Feb 01 08-25-30.png

afifield
Community Member

Thank you for your informative answer Petra. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths