Did you mean: 

Client of the week

This widget could not be displayed.
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 11

Hi Margarete,

Please report this client so our team could investigate.

Thank you.

Untitled
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 11

Those clients should be reported but event more, an algorithm should detect this kind of situations when clients are posting tons of jobs without hiring anyone.

This actually doesn't have any impact on me. I would never even consider such client, but Upwork is clearly losing money here because it is obvious that those clients are hiring people off-platform. 

They are using valuable resources from the Upwork IT infrastructure, without paying a single dime to the company for doing this.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
4 of 11

While we are at it: Margarete made me aware of a translation agency (in Pakistan) that offers more than 30 language pairings (including Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic, Greek etc.). And certified translations for all of them, or so it seems. They claim to be THE "#1 translation agency on Upwork". Um...

The agency has only two (2) contractors.

They must be mighty talented... each of them speaking tons of languages at a native level Smiley Surprised

Upwork seems to be down with big-scale farming operations.

Joy.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 11

@Ela K wrote:

While we are at it: Margarete made me aware of a translation agency (in Pakistan) that offers more than 30 language pairings (including Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic, Greek etc.). And certified translations for all of them, or so it seems. They claim to be THE "#1 translation agency on Upwork". Um...

The agency has only two (2) contractors.

They must be mighty talented... each of them speaking tons of languages at a native level Smiley Surprised

Upwork seems to be down with big-scale farming operations.

Joy.

Not sure why, but this agency was posted a few days ago and the thread was killed. They are definitely farming. Everyone at Elance knew them because they  were the biggest farmers for translations. All you gotta do is look at the history and 1 guy is claiming jobs for like 20 languages lol 

elastella
Community Guru
6 of 11

It is so ridiculously obvious.

Funny, how they keep telling us to raise our rates etc. while, at the same time, they sanction this kind of cr*p.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 11

I'm hoping that the thread was killed from a few days ago so that they can investigate. Like you said, it's blatantly obvious that they are farming.  One dude in Pakistan doing 10 jobs and a recent one is for French, English, Chinese, Hebrew, Italian and Korean. Yeah right.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
8 of 11

“It is so ridiculously obvious …”

Welcome to the corporate world. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
elastella
Community Guru
9 of 11

@Ravindra B wrote:

“It is so ridiculously obvious …”

Welcome to the corporate world. Smiley Happy

I don't mind the 'corporate world'.

But you have to own it and adjust your rules accordingly.  

If farming is OK - just say so.

If not - do sth about it.

10 of 11

@Ela K wrote:

I don't mind the 'corporate world'.

But you have to own it and adjust your rules accordingly.  

If farming is OK - just say so.

If not - do sth about it.

Those practices destroy the freelancing market for all honest translators on UW - preventing that they can earn decent rates because those farmers bid for all translation jobs in all languages and absorb most of them because they farm them out here (and perhaps on other platforms) for low rates. The same problem occurs with writing jobs in different languages. Most of the job offers can only be declined, I have already blocked several of those "clients". If those virtual translation businesses were successful in the real world they would not be here. They can only exist on UW and on other platforms.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS