🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client only wants to bill for "hours crea...
Page options
dsuzee
Community Member

Client only wants to bill for "hours creating" not hours editing

Hi everyone, I'll go ahead and paraphrase as much as possible. I've been working with a client on an hourly contract, and things were going smoothly at first, but not so much anymore. We're having a ton of revisions and changes.

She's now saying she doesn't want to exceed 25 hours (I'm already at 20 minus the changes) and only wants to be charged for hours I spent creating not revising.

We've been talking through email and zoom, and I'm using Clockify to track the hours since Upwork was glitching at the time of contract. This is why I'm worried. There's really no paper trail on Upwork.

Because now, since she's told me she doesn't want to pay me for all my work, I'm going to tell her I'll be ending the contract and send her all the work I've already done for payment.

My question is, what do I do if she only tries to pay me for say, only 10 hours?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2a05aa63
Community Member

Upwork will protect only the hours tracked with their tracker. Everything manually can be removed by the client.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

There is only ONE person who can decide what to do: Danielle

There is only ONE person who can enforce this: Danielle

=====

I'm not you.

I can't decide what YOU will do.

But I will tell you what I do.

If I have an hourly contract, I bill for all the time I spend working on behalf of the client.

If I respond to an email from the client, I log the time. If I talk to the client on the phone, I log the time.

Do you need to do what I do?

No.

But CAN you? Yes. You can.

Thanks for your reply! 

I have my mind made up on what I'm doing, I just want to know what to do in case the client decides not to approve the timesheet. Is there any protection? I know I should know that by now.

2a05aa63
Community Member

Upwork will protect only the hours tracked with their tracker. Everything manually can be removed by the client.

dsuzee
Community Member

Yes, just read this. not sure why I didn't Google it before. Well, sucks for me I guess. This is a tough lesson learned and one month and $600 down the drain. But, it will NEVER happen again. Thank you!

If you log time manually, then most of the time a client will simply pay you for your time.

But if a client doesn't want to pay you, and if the client knows HOW to avoid paying you (which isn't hard to figure out)... then the client doesn't need to pay you.

tlbp
Community Member

Get paid and then tell her you want to end the contract or you may not see a dime. Actually, get paid and then just close the contract and hope she doesn't notice. 

Just because a client doesn't want to pay you... it doesn't automatically mean that she already knows how to avoid paying you.

Of course... I'm referring to a freelancer who logs time manually.

If a freelancer doesn't even log time manually and simply tells a client how many hours she worked, well... That makes it even less likely that the freelancer will get paid. Because if you don't log time with the desktop app and you don't log time manually, the only way you can get paid anything is if the client voluntarily uses the "Send bonus" tool. And that is on the honor system.

petra_r
Community Member

Danielle S wrote:

My question is, what do I do if she only tries to pay me for say, only 10 hours?

As you haven't used the Upwork tracker, there is nothing you can do if the client pays 10 hours or, for that matter, if the client pays nothing at all. 

But if that happens, the work you did belongs to you

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths