🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client outside upwork
Page options
justinrey08
Community Member

Client outside upwork

Hello, is it ok if my client will contact me through zoom, even though if we don't have a contract yet? Because he keeps insisting that I would get hired on upwork once I pass the interview. I'm just confused with these answers from the chatbot and the policy written.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
emailforcoffey
Community Member

No, it's not okay to use Zoom (or any other method of communication outside UpWork) until you have accepted a contract. After that, you can use whatever you want. 

I think the issue here is they haven't updated the chatbot with the new terms of service that came in on June 26. I just tried searching "share email with client" in the chatbot and it gave me the following reply, which is out of date:

Upwork Messages supports text, voice, and video communication, but if you need to take the conversation off Upwork, you can. We simply ask that you not share external information on your profile, proposals, or job posts.

It needs to be updated

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
emailforcoffey
Community Member

No, it's not okay to use Zoom (or any other method of communication outside UpWork) until you have accepted a contract. After that, you can use whatever you want. 

I think the issue here is they haven't updated the chatbot with the new terms of service that came in on June 26. I just tried searching "share email with client" in the chatbot and it gave me the following reply, which is out of date:

Upwork Messages supports text, voice, and video communication, but if you need to take the conversation off Upwork, you can. We simply ask that you not share external information on your profile, proposals, or job posts.

It needs to be updated

Lolz, that chatbot was about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

No, we cannot communicate outside of Upwork before a contract has been started. 

They should update this, because this can lead to misinformation.

Thank you, Matthew for the response. I already reached out to upwork and thankfully, I have resolved this issue. Thank You.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths