🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client paid for a while, and now he just ...
Page options
nivilvalarimakal
Community Member

Client paid for a while, and now he just vanished!

Hello! 

My question is regarding an unpaid milestone. At the start of the project (fixed price), the client was quite responsive and paid all milestones on-time. Now he is neither replying to my messages nor approving the milestone - there wasn't a revision request or anything.  Twice I've asked about the next batch of article titles and he said 'there's a bit delay, will send it tomorrow.  I've waited, didnt get any reply and then finally made the payment request on Mar 25th.  

I understand as per your policy, the amount in escrow will automatically be released after 14 days. But what happens if he cancels that particular milestone and end the contract? 

- Nivil

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Nivil G wrote:

Twice I've asked about the next batch of article titles and he said 'there's a bit delay, will send it tomorrow.  I've waited, didnt get any reply and then finally made the payment request on Mar 25th.  

I understand as per your policy, the amount in escrow will automatically be released after 14 days. But what happens if he cancels that particular milestone and end the contract? 

Have you completed the work for the latest funded milestone?

Yes, I have submitted the docs and the articles are online. 

Nivil G wrote:

Yes, I have submitted the docs and the articles are online. 

then why would the client cancel the contract?

If he did try, you would get the choice to dispute.

Hi Petra, he didn't cancel the contract - it is still active. He isn't activating the milestone even after a week of completing the work. 

My question was this 'What happens if he cancels that particular milestone and end the contract? Will I get the payment after 14days of requesting payment? ' 

Nivil G wrote:

He isn't activating the milestone even after a week of completing the work. 

My question was this 'What happens if he cancels that particular milestone and end the contract? Will I get the payment after 14days of requesting payment? ' 

You are not being clear what is happening.

Did you not submit the work properly against a funded milestone, using the "submit work for payment" function?

Was the milestone active and funded? If not, doing the work on an inactive / not funded milestone was risky. And no, you would not get automatically paid, as there would not be any 14 day countdown as you could not possibly "submit for payment" if there is no "submit for payment" function on an inactive / not funded milestone.

1. Milestone was funded 

2. I've used 'submit work for payment' function

Nivil G wrote:

1. Milestone was funded 

2. I've used 'submit work for payment' function

Then the milestone was funded and active and you are paid after 14 days automatically, unless the client requests changes.

Should the client try to cancel the contract and ask his funds back, you can dispute.

Sure. Thanks for the help. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths