🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client paid milestone and ended contract, req...
Page options
lkthecool
Community Member

Client paid milestone and ended contract, request refund, file dispute and upwork helping him

Client has a job, he is looking for a script to format large data. I created tool he cleared funds. Everything was good but after clearing funds he wanted me to do data entry job and format all his data which would take (8-10 hours), although I am developer. I ended contract as this was never part of job description and not part of milestone.
He has filed a dispute and when I showed all the proves to the upwork even the upwork mediation guy is also harassing me to do the refund and come to term of settlement.
When everything is crystal clear.

Question is I can write them to once or twice but this is not my entire life process to explain them again and again, I am top rated freelancer with exremly positive feedback and  **edited for Community Guidelines** and I already proved to upwork that he was looking for free work.

Whome to contact?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kat303
Community Member

What the mediator here on Upwork is telling you is just a suggestion. You do NOT have to do what the mediator tells you or suggests to you. If the mediator is harassing you, that is totally NOT acceptable. What they tell you is NOT binding. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

Lokesh:

I'm sorry to hear about this.

It sounds like the client you worked for is a really bad person who doesn't think of you as a person, or doesn't care about other people. He saw a button to request a refund and thought he would try to get money back, even though you did the work.

It would be terrible if Upwork allows him to get away with this.

The problem is I have all things documented and screen shot, which clearly shows he is a double standard guy.
I never knew that upwork mediation team did not even read any email, they are forcing me to come up on some solution and accept the refund request.

I am not sure is there any way or email I can directly send them with all the screen shot.
Earlier I used to think bad feedback is bad thing where you do not have control and client can play with you on this, now I get to know filing dispute is also there to harras you and torture you even if you are nor wrong.

kat303
Community Member

What the mediator here on Upwork is telling you is just a suggestion. You do NOT have to do what the mediator tells you or suggests to you. If the mediator is harassing you, that is totally NOT acceptable. What they tell you is NOT binding. 

lkthecool
Community Member

Thank you this helps a lot, now I am understanding provding explanation to upwork mediation guys are just waste of time, they do not even read any single thing there.

Lokesh, I think you will be better off if you are cooperative with the mediator.

DO answer questions. But don't spend too much time doing so.

Remember that time is on your side. You can take time to answer questions. Tell them they asked a very good question, and you need a couple days to prepare your answer. But always answer.

Always be respectful to all parties. Including the client.

Remember that it is not the mediator's job to decide who is right or wrong. They are not allowed to do that.

I am respectful to all but no one can force me to do work on free of cost,
this is supported by upwork policy.
So how a client can request refund when he already approved it, there were
14 days period or you could ask for revision but when contract ends and
everything done then you want to your money back and as well your work get
done.
I don't have respect for a idot or or double standard guy whether he is
client or someone else.

Lokesh K wrote:

So how a client can request refund when he already approved it, there were
14 days period or you could ask for revision but when contract ends and
everything done then you want to your money back and as well your work get
done.

Clients have 30 days to request dispute assistance.

Lokesh K wrote:

I don't have respect for a idot or or double standard guy whether he is
client or someone else.

It doesn't matter.

You have exactly 3 options:

1) Accept the dispute

2) Suggest a compromise

3) Pay for arbitration ($ 291) to either force the client to concede or to let the arbitration process decide.

tlbp
Community Member

If you are tired of the mediator, you can tell them that you will not refund the money and are willing to pay the arbitration fee to have the matter resolved. The fee, however, is $291 and is non-refundable unless the client refuses to pay to arbitrate. 

A potentially less expensive and less-contentious route than going to arbitration is to AGREE TO GIVE THE CLIENT A REFUND.

But TAKE TIME to really understand the client's position, the client's concerns, etc. Take many weeks to make sure you understand the client's thoughts on the matter.

And then DO provide a refund that YOU determine is appropriate for the situation. Even if that refund is only one dollar.

Sometimes, for clients, it isn't really about the money. Sometimes they just want to feel like they are being heard. And a refund in any amount, no matter how small, is really what they are after. This can be a win-win for both sides.

Preston H wrote:

A potentially less expensive and less-contentious route than going to arbitration is to AGREE TO GIVE THE CLIENT A REFUND.

But TAKE TIME to really understand the client's position, the client's concerns, etc. Take many weeks to make sure you understand the client's thoughts on the matter.

Nonsense. He doesn't have "many weeks" to "make sure you understand the client's thoughts on the matter." This is appallingly silly advice.  "Many weeks?" Seriously?

He has exactly 3 options:

1) Accept the dispute

2) Suggest a compromise

3) Pay for arbitration to either force the client to concede or the arbitration process to decide.

Hint: "Take many weeks to understand" is not an option.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lokesh, 

I would highly recommend that you refrain from sharing more information about your case to refrain from misrepresenting the situation. 

Kindly refer to the dispute ticket, for more information on how you can move forward with this case. Our team won't be able to share more details about your dispute here in the Community but feel free to follow up about it directly with the Dispute team via the ticket.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members