🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client paused a contract and wants free r...
Page options
lebedev-vitaly
Community Member

Client paused a contract and wants free reports

The client paused the hourly rate contract and asked me to provide text and video instructions to the code I write. Also, he is asking to estimate time remaining to finish the project and what exactly is left to be done.

Even though making text and video reports are not a part of contract work I am willing to provide it. But since this would take me more than 20 minutes I am asking him to reactivate a contract. I cannot be expected to spend half of the day producing those texts and videos for free, can I?

However I reckon this is a bad sign, 'cos previous 2 jobs went without such requests. I see he worries for the money he pays.

Would it be a good idea to suggest him to end this contract and open a personal fixed-price contract? Though I prefer an hourly rate contract.

I would appreciate any tips and suggestions.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask for free work.

You can, with complete honesty, tell your client that you won't be able do something like this, because Upwork has strict rules against asking for free work, but you COULD do so if he will set up a contract.

"Would you like to close the current contract and then set up a new fixed-price contract for $145, or would you like to use an hourly contract?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask for free work.

You can, with complete honesty, tell your client that you won't be able do something like this, because Upwork has strict rules against asking for free work, but you COULD do so if he will set up a contract.

"Would you like to close the current contract and then set up a new fixed-price contract for $145, or would you like to use an hourly contract?"

Thank you for your reply. I was sure there was a rule of 20 minutes - anything above should be paid. But I would be more convincing with a link to Upwork ToS about this. Shamefully, I cannot find it myself. Can you suggest which section of ToS to study?

re: "I was sure there was a rule of 20 minutes - anything above should be paid."

Umm.... There is no such thing as a "20 minutes rule."

This is what you are looking for:

https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms-of-use

The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on the Site or when using the Site Services: Requesting or demanding free services...

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 3.47.29 PM.png

Please don't let your client run the risk of getting banned from Upwork.

Don't work for free.

Vitaly L wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I was sure there was a rule of 20 minutes - anything above should be paid. But I would be more convincing with a link to Upwork ToS about this. Shamefully, I cannot find it myself. Can you suggest which section of ToS to study?

Everything should be paid.

You wouldn't agree to terms which would allow clients to get a free work from you (being that in under 20 mins or 20 days, years..).

I wouldn't, I love being paid for my work.

'4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE' is a good read.

*edit: Preston was faster.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths