Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client paused my contract with an unjustified logic

Highlighted
Nil D Member Since: May 7, 2015
1 of 8

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on a contract for some time and last week, I worked on my assigned tasks and I used the Upwork timer in the valid manner. Today, the client reviewed the tasks and they are working fine but then he paused my contract and asked to justify the hours. I told that there are screenshots and activity levels for your to check but he is not ready to listen. He did pause my contract previously for no reason when I was not even logging time. I am now done with him and I want to end the contract. All my logged hours follow the Upwork Protection Policy but they all have the same memo and the reason is that all the tasks were related to a generic task. So my query is that can I end a paused contract and if the client unjustifiably files a disputes against those hours, will the same memo impact my hours? These are hard earned hours and I dont want to lose them due to a client's unjustified logic.

Thanks for reading my post. Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Nil

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 8

Nil:

When a client pauses a contract, it in no way affects your earnings for the work you already did. It means you stop working on the project. That's all.

If you want to, you may close a contract at any time.

Likewise, a client may pause a contract at any time, for any reason.

A client's logic does not need to be "justified."

A client does not need a "logical" reason.

A client may pause a contract for a bad reason. Or for not reason at at all.

Have you ever gone to a store and purchased something?

And then went back the next day and purchased something else?

And then NOT GONE BACK the third day? That's okay! You don't need to tell the store why you didn't purchase anything on the third day.

Highlighted
3 of 8

Hi Preston,

Thanks a lot for your response. I understand your point and I will end the contract from my end and stop working on it.

My only other concern was the same memo across all my logged hours for last week. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 8

re: " So my query is that can I end a paused contract and if the client unjustifiably files a disputes against those hours, will the same memo impact my hours?"

If you used the same memo, and never changed it to reflect the work you were doing, then that could be a problem.

If you made a mistake by not using memos properly, then you should learn from your mistake, and use memos properly in the future.

ALSO: If the contract is not closed yet, then you should still be able to EDIT existing memos.

You can go to your work diary and edit the memos for previous work diary timeslots.

But keep in mind YOU DO NOT KNOW if the client actually intends to dispute anything, right? Be positive. Work with him. Don't assume he'll do something bad.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 of 8

The reason for the same memo was that the work that I did were all related to a common generic task that was assigned to me and so the memo always remained the same for the last week. This has been the case previous week as well and never did it seem that the client would do something like this.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mary-Helen R Member Since: Oct 9, 2018
6 of 8

Nil, as I understand it having the same memo while working on the same project is not a problem.

Good luck with this - I'm rather new to Upwork and trying to learn fast how to communicate with clients as they can be so changeable without my expecting it.

Highlighted
7 of 8

Thanks very much for your advice Mary. Yes, its always a learning curve for all of us.

Highlighted
8 of 8

Thanks a lot for your support and advice Preston

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS