🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client payment is getting refunded from my si...
Page options
f2da47ee
Community Member

Client payment is getting refunded from my side

Hello everyone,

After I've completed a job for a client & the contract has been ended. I'm surprised that a refund has been sent to the client from my side (which I haven't). After some research online, I found out that it might be because my client's payment method is not approved.

My questions are:

1) Is there any other reason for the refund?

2) Is there anything that I can do from my side to facilitate the payment process?

3) What should I advise my client to do?

Thanks in advance

Asma

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there any other reason for the refund?"

The refund you are seeing is probably happening due to Upwork not being able to charge the client's credit card. Is it REALLY a refund? In a sense... it isn't a refund because this money was never actually obtained by Upwork and sent to you. So nothing was truly refunded. It is more of a payment that never took place.

Possible other reason a freelancer wouldn't get paid for their hours? A client can review a freelancer's work diary from the previous week and manually dispute time segments, by selecting them and clicking a button. Upwork personnel will look at the time segments and remove which don't meet Upwork Payment Protection guidelines... remove those hours from the time that the client has to pay for.

EITHER WAY, THE SOLUTION IS THE SAME: In the future, work whole qualifying for Upwork Payment Protection.

If you qualify then Upwork will pay you out of its own pocket if setting goes wrong while trying to charge the client's credit card. If you qualify, then the client will NOT be able to successfully dispute your hours.

So you will get paid.

It is easy to qualify for Payment Project for nearly all types of work done by Upwork freelancers.

If your work truly can not be done on a computer running the time-tracker app, then it means you will need to trust the client. A client who is 100% trustworthy will make sure you get paid through Upwork even if something goes wrong with the first attempt to charge her credit card. But what if the client is not 100% trustworthy?

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there anything that I can do from my side to facilitate the payment process?"

No.

The problem is not you. The problem is with the client.

re: "What should I advise my client to do?"

I guess you can send a SHORT note to the client explaining that payment didn't go through, and that there is nothing you can do to fix this, and that she will need to contact Upwork Customer Support to work this out.

Perhaps the most important thing you can do is to not send the client any more files. Don't do any more work. Don't discuss the project further aprovide additional consultation. If the client wants more help from you, she will need to make sure you get paid for your work.

She may also want to politely remind the client that under Upwork's contract, they receive the right to use the work upon full payment, so they are not currently authorized to publish her design.

dhvani066
Community Member

Hello all,

My 4 invoices are refunded to client, because my client’s payment was unsuccessful for the week, 3 invoices are not in criteria to match hourly payment protection becuase I added manually time and all, 1 invoice is with time tracker and it's refunded with reason of "PP Abuse", so what is "PP Abuse"?

I believe payment protection abuse means they believe you colluded with the client to get paid by Upwork without doing any work. 

How do you have four invoices for the same client in the same week? 

dhvani066
Community Member

hi, Tiffany

I did work, task was about to update the code and I did run desktop time tracker for that. 3 invoices are from 1 client and 1 invoice from 1 client, all are refunded. Tasks are small around 10 hours each so they can be done in 1 day, that's why I had 3 invoices from 1 client and 1 invoice from 1 client in 1 week.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members