🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client possibly attempting refund
Page options
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Client possibly attempting refund

I have a potential issue with a client who seems to be positioning themselves into seeking a refund.  I performed the work that the client had asked for, within the specifications that I was given.  The task was to design several parts for a very small device - the size limits ranging from 1-6 mm in size.  Because of the sizes involved, there are dimensions that span to 4 decimal places due to design methodology, practices, and accepted standards (tolerance, fitments, spacing, hole sizing, etc).

After delivering the final items to the client I asked he client to review and closed the contract, the client has come back stating that he is unable to succesfully 3D print the items that I designed, and is asking to have them adjusted.  This is fine, however, when I ask what 3D printer the client is using, the client states it is a low end hobby unit which is only capable of printing to 0.1mm accuracy (these parts have dimensions smaller than that). 

My first instinct is that the client's budget printer is not my problem and is out of my control.  However, that doesn't always make for good business and I'd like to try and assist with the request - within reason.  I ask the client for a sketch of the problem areas (on the blueprints that I provided), but receive no response.  I ask repeatedly for several days and receive only single sentence responses which never address the issue the client claims to have.  Then it gets pushed out another day. 

This has been going on for about a week now and I still do not have the sketch that I asked for, and the client just says that he is busy and that they will get back to me.  I find it odd that the client is suddenly busy, when during the design phase he would ask me for updates daily.

Because of this, I feel as if the client is attempting to position themselves so that they will receive a refund (for whatever reason), and be able to retain the work that I have performed (essentially for free).  I did perform the work under the Upwork tracker app so there is no manual time logged.  Should I be worried about a clawback or am I protected using this app?  

Since I am unable to communicate with the client I am wondering how I should approach this.  My instincts are telling me this is one of those situations where the client has made a mistake (a lack of due dilligence into how they are going to have these items made in real life).  I believe that the client realizes that they have made a mistake, and are now grasping for reasons to make it my fault in order to get a refund, rather than to accept that I delivered what they had asked for.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Not enough infor for meaningful advice because the important details are missing!

1) Is it a fixed rate contract?

2) Is the money in Escrow?

3) Did you submit properly via the "Submit for payment" function?

4) Did the client formally request chances?

Stop pushing the client in any case, but to figure out how you should play this, we need the above info.

1. Not fixed rate.  I was using the Upwork hourly tracker (no manual time logged at all).
2. Funds are "in review" status - along with funds from other clients
3. I submitted work via the Upwork message system - where it says "messages and files".
4. The client did not "formally" request changes - this is the issue that I explain in the post above...  The client mentioned that the parts are not printing so that they fit together properly. 

There is nothing wrong with the digital parts that I created. 

This is an issue where the client has ordered something but does not possess the capability to make it.  The part can be made just fine at any number of vendors and manufacturers, but this is an extremely small item and will require precision machining.  However, the client has a $250 hobby printer, is attempting to print the items on this printer, and wondering why the parts do not fit together.  There is a very big difference in what can be produced with a hobby machine versus a industrial machine.   

Obviously I would like to assist the client as much as I can because its good business, but there is a limit to how much I can actualy do before this turns into a full re-design.  In the event of a full re-design, I would be asking for a new contract as well as hourly payment for the work performed.  

Also - I am not pushing the client.  I have asked the client one time per day for the sketches showing where parts are not fitting.  It has been a week and the client still hasn't fufilled this request, and as such, I am not making any further requests - it is not my responsbility to babysit.

Jeremiah B wrote:

1. Not fixed rate.  I was using the Upwork hourly tracker (no manual time logged at all).
2. Funds are "in review" status - along with funds from other clients
3. I submitted work via the Upwork message system - where it says "messages and files".

Then the client's ability to dispute will expire at midniht UTC tonight. Afterwards they may "ask for a refund", which you can simply decline to give, or ask for mediation, where you can't be made to refund anything at all either.

Jeremiah B wrote:

Also - I am not pushing the client.  I have asked the client one time per day for the sketches showing where parts are not fitting.

That is "pushing" - Leave it be.

Jeremiah B wrote:

it is not my responsbility to babysit.

Exactly. And if the contract is still open it also pays not to irritate the client. If the client reappears and the contract is still open, use THE SAME contract for the additional work. There is a chance that this may not end well (because of the client's printer-limitations, not your work) and you don't want to client to have 2 chances to leave feedback rather than one.

Ok, I can agree with what is considered "pushing" the client - I simply attempted to get the information that I would need and to show I made a good faith effort in doing so.  Since it is obvious I am not going to receive it, I discontinued asking.

The contract was closed earlier this week and is not still open.  Is there a way to reopen that contract so that any additional work can be performed on it, or is it too late for that?  I think you make a good point about limiting the opportunity for a client to leave false negative feedback when the real problem lies with the client's lack of due dilligence.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members