🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client provided phone number on chat before h...
Page options
a_sabari
Community Member

Client provided phone number on chat before hiring but I never asked/expected anything like that.

A Client invited me and gave me a problem to solve after accepting the invitation and when I shared a solution she likes the solution and give me a phone number on chat before hiring but I did not ask anything like that.
another thing she said was, she will invite me after creating a new job post give me a review and payment with her another new account and she did a job post after two days with a new account but didn't give a proposal/payment and also gave me a new problem to solve after accepting the invitation. since I feel It's a violation of the rules or something what should I do in this situation?.

3 REPLIES 3
wescowley
Community Member

Sharing contact info before you have a contract isn't allowed, nor is asking for free work.

Repeating the invite and asking for more free work under a different account is a red flag. I'd suggest you just walk away. This doesn't sound like someone who's going to be worth the trouble to work with, and it's likely you'll never actually be paid.

NikolaS

Hi Alauddin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that you were not hired for this job and shouldn't provide any work until your client sends you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab. Please note that any request for free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, you may want to check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. Feel free to also check this help article to help you stay safe on Upwork

~ Nikola
Upwork
841d4127
Community Member

Hi Nikola, A New Client messaged me on upwork after my response to his invitation. He gave his phone number in the message and asked me to call him at his phone number. He has not hired me yet. I have asked him to call or text me only on Upwork messenger as its a violation to go outside of Upwork before contract. I want to know that are we all freelancers have to inform Upwork when a new Client asks us to call on their phone number before the contract or we should only inform new client that we will talk only through Upwork and then we do not need to inform Upwork that This client asked us to call on their Phone Number?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths