🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client provides less work than expected
Page options
d1f16fc1
Community Member

Client provides less work than expected

Hello, 

I feel like I am in a delicate situation at the moment with a client. The client hired me for full time for 3 months, but unfortunately the person I am dealing with is dealing with a family emergency and therefore work has slowed down dramatically. I understand the position the person is in, but I have been rejecting projects because the client really wanted someone full time and I expected to get more work,  but it is not happening. I am not sure how to approach the subject with the client since it is a delicate situation and I imagine he is going through a rough time, but at the same time I am not earning any money. Any suggestions?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

Marcela,

This is definitely a delicate situation that is beyond the client's control and yours. However, I would stop rejecting jobs and send a message to the client and tell him the truth. Maybe something like:

(Client name) -- I'm so sorry for (emergency). I know you are dealing with a difficult situation and you should take as much time as you need before returning.

I am working on a few other projects right now, but I am (or can be) available to return and continue supporting (project).

Take care, and reach out to me when you return.

Even in an emergency or time of grief, no one should expect you to sit idle and not work. I'm sure your client would not expect that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

Is it hourly? Work as is if acceptable. Or quit. Be sure, client will fire you asap as you don't be needed anymore. And free to do it. You also can stop works at any moment you want. No violations here, it is a bussines.

celgins
Community Member

Marcela,

This is definitely a delicate situation that is beyond the client's control and yours. However, I would stop rejecting jobs and send a message to the client and tell him the truth. Maybe something like:

(Client name) -- I'm so sorry for (emergency). I know you are dealing with a difficult situation and you should take as much time as you need before returning.

I am working on a few other projects right now, but I am (or can be) available to return and continue supporting (project).

Take care, and reach out to me when you return.

Even in an emergency or time of grief, no one should expect you to sit idle and not work. I'm sure your client would not expect that.

d1f16fc1
Community Member

Hi Clark, 

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take it into account!

prestonhunter
Community Member

Why is this a question?

You are a freelancer.

You can work for whoever you want to work for.

Clients are not obligated to provide freelancers with a certain amount of work.

If you want to do more work, then you can work for other clients.

Preston H wrote:

Clients are not obligated to provide freelancers with a certain amount of work.

Normally I would agree, but in this case, the client told the OP that they wanted to her to be available to them full-time for three months. In a situation like that, they should pay her. If you're going to treat someone like an employee, you should pay them like an employee.

b4c15981
Community Member

Hi [Client], I'm sorry you've been dealing with personal challenges. I wanted to check in with you about how much work you would like me to be doing for you. I was hired at full-time but it seems like there is not currently enough work to fulfill full-time hours, and I want to make sure we are being efficient. Would you prefer we drop to part-time for the time being, and I can seek other part-time opportunities, and then we can re-evaluate in the future if the pace picks back up? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members