🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client putted half of the budgeted e amount i...
Page options
3861bf5b
Community Member

Client putted half of the budgeted e amount in the escrow

Hello dears,

Hope you're doing all well.

I have a client with a contract budgeted with 250 $ but the client deposited only 50 $ in escrow, do I have to worry? I am new to Upwork and I don't know if this is common practice or no?

Can you please advise me of how to proceed and deal with the client, he assured me that he will pay, but I am afraid that he may not be totally honest, I saw some of the feedback from his past contract where they say that he is no totally honest (not all the jobs).

I completed the work and I am ready to submit my work by 29-04-2021.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kinector
Community Member

Mohand, when we have a fixed price contract, nothing else about the money really matters than what is in the escrow. When you use the Submit Work button, the client has 14 days to review the work, and if the client vanished, the money comes to you. Whatever is mentioned in the original budget does not matter one bit. Only what is paid into the escrow.

If you have already done and sent work worth more than what is in the escrow, there is no protection mechanism in place that would make the client pay, as there is no contract of anything else than that $50.

Discuss with the client, be super nice and supportive, and perhaps the client actually pays up.

Right now, you should only submit the part that you have promised for the $50, let the client approve it, release the money, and pay the remaining $200 into the escrow, and then only you go about the remaining parts of the work (but sounds like you already did it and the time is spent).

You can also see if the client wants to split the remaining $200 into smaller milestones of e.g. another $50 so he would be more comfortable in paying more.

Next time, surely, you shall only work on funded milestones. Smiley Very Happy

Look at the bright side, even in the worst case you only lost a little time. But you learned a lot!

Hope this helps. Cheers! 👍

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kinector
Community Member

Mohand, when we have a fixed price contract, nothing else about the money really matters than what is in the escrow. When you use the Submit Work button, the client has 14 days to review the work, and if the client vanished, the money comes to you. Whatever is mentioned in the original budget does not matter one bit. Only what is paid into the escrow.

If you have already done and sent work worth more than what is in the escrow, there is no protection mechanism in place that would make the client pay, as there is no contract of anything else than that $50.

Discuss with the client, be super nice and supportive, and perhaps the client actually pays up.

Right now, you should only submit the part that you have promised for the $50, let the client approve it, release the money, and pay the remaining $200 into the escrow, and then only you go about the remaining parts of the work (but sounds like you already did it and the time is spent).

You can also see if the client wants to split the remaining $200 into smaller milestones of e.g. another $50 so he would be more comfortable in paying more.

Look at the bright side, even in the worst case you only lost a little time. But you learned a lot!

Hello Mikko,

Thank you so much for your clarification.

This is a newbies mistake, I'll learn from it.

Best Regards,

Mikko R wrote:

Terrific to see folks tryna help but maybe boil down your subsequent advice a bit?

Petra just said the same thing in 2 sentences and it was waaaay more digestible 😉

petra_r
Community Member

Mohand Amokrane O wrote:

I have a client with a contract budgeted with 250 $ but the client deposited only 50 $ in escrow,

Can you please advise me of how to proceed

Only give the client $50 worth of the work.

Do *NOT* submit $250, as you would have no recourse if the client doesn't pay more than $50.

3861bf5b
Community Member

Hello Petra,

I just send one file and ask for this payment, I proposed to the client a new milestone for each file.

Best regards

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths