🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client putting blame on me for messing up...
Page options
kartikeya_1
Community Member

Client putting blame on me for messing up code and raised dispute.

Client putting blame on me for messing up the code and raised dispute. The client made 5 milestones and approve all of them after full satisfaction and testing and end the contract with good feedback. After some day he raised a random amount of dispute and blaming me. On the last call, he threatened me that if I will not do his some small new work for free he will raise a dispute and he did the same. 

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

This client sounds like a bad client, and a bad person.

The time to review, test and discuss a milestone is BEFORE releasing payment.

If the client has already raised a dispute, then it sounds like he does not want you to do any more work for him. Ever again.

I'm not sure why he thinks you will do additional work for him if:

a) You have no contract with him

and

b) He raised a dispute, which means he clicked some buttons to try to get some money back from you.

kat303
Community Member

Once work is submitted to the milestones scope of work a client has 14 days to review the work before they release the funds for that milestone. They also have 30 days in which to raise a dispute. 

At this point, what you need to do is to communicate with your client and see if some sort of agreement can be reached between both of you. In fact during a dispute that's exactly what Upwork's mediator will advise or suggest for you to do. It may sound like that's what you HAVE to do, What the mediator says is not binding. It's only a suggestion. If nothing can be agreed on, then you both go into arbitration where Each of you will need to pay a $291 arbitration fee. Whatever is decided during arbitration IS binding.

This client has overstepped his professionalism and if you're new he's trying to take advantage of you. If you have proof of that threat about not doing work that went above and beyond what was agreed on you should  submit that proof to Upwork. 

What you should have done is turn this around on him. 

Hi XXX. I will gladly do that small new job for you. Since the scope of work has been completed for this contract you would need to close  this contract and open a new hourly contract.  I can start working right away. How would you like to proceed?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths