cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client putting blame on me for messing up site and raised dispute, because I got new job

Jaidev B Member Since: Feb 3, 2016
1 of 11

Hi,

I was working with a client for more than 8 months, so far I had worked for so many tasks for the client and made working.

Recently client paused my contract without any discussion, when I discussed client was like board is not happy they have paused contract for both of us. 

And when contract paused , because of my good upwork profile I got some small project to finish. Client asked me to make changes and I said wait I will look into this as I have to finish a task of 5 hours.

And there client blasts, and I was like what is this happening. Client was like you Screwed my life my week, I will screw you this week bla bla.. how you leave me in between and so on.

I was trying to calm the client, but no luck. And we reached to some discussion to make some changes and then we are done.

I made those chagnes and we are done. Very next day I saw client raised a refund request. I was shocked when I asked, the reply was you messed up my code. When I checked the code it was working fine as expected.

I tried to explain alot but client was not listening to me. So when I get its not my code fault its client's wrong way or method. I asked client, then again terms changed, "No this is fine that is not working".

And next day I saw a dispute file by client. I got another shock like what is this happening.

Now my question to community is, what client asking is exactly working fine and how upwork will identify that code is working fine, because I read in terms Upwork is not responsible for quality of work and functionality kind of things or let me know if I am wrong.

I have posted all messages in support and dispute, but its three days almost and getting no response.

And how a client can stop me from getting a new project.

Thanks

Jaidev **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

Jaidev B wrote:

Now my question to community is, what client asking is exactly working fine and how upwork will identify that code is working fine,

Upwork will not and can not examine code or make a binding decision. They can only mediate between the client and yourself.

If no agreement can be reached, it can go to arbitration for a binding decision. This costs all three parties $ 291 (you pay $ 291, client pays $ 291, Upwork pays $ 291)

3 of 11

thanks for the reply,

who will get that payment?

4 of 11

I checked your other comment, in that you have mentioned this is for Fixed rate.. but my project was on hourly based,

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 11

I'm getting that vibe like with the guy in the US outsourcing to China and the only reason they caught it was because there was some Chinese IP logging into the VPN.

OP, if you used the tracker and played by the rules for payment protection, you're fine. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 11

Jaidev B wrote:

I checked your other comment, in that you have mentioned this is for Fixed rate.. but my project was on hourly based,

With hourly disputes Upwork will ONLY look at your work diary:

• Did you use the tracker? (NO manualy time?)
  • Did you have decent activity levels on your screenshots?
  • Did you have meaningful memos which clearly descibed what you were working on on your screenshots?
  • Do all your screenshots show you working on the client's project?

If the answer to all 4 questions is YES - you win the dispute.

If the answer to even ONE of those questions is NO, then you lose the dispute for all hours where one or more of the above conditions do not apply.

Community Leader
Prachi T Member Since: Nov 4, 2017
7 of 11

And when contract paused , because of my good upwork profile I got some small project to finish. Client asked me to make changes and I said wait I will look into this as I have to finish a task of 5 hours.

As a side note, I think it's a bad practice to let a client know that you won't be working on their job right away because you are busy working for another client. 

It's okay if you are not immediately available to do what they need. The key here is to politely give them a reasonable time-frame as to when they can expect the delivery. Don't tell them you will get to their work later because you decided to prioritize the other client's work over theirs.

8 of 11

Prachi T wrote:

As a side note, I think it's a bad practice to let a client know that you won't be working on their job right away because you are busy working for another client. 

It's okay if you are not immediately available to do what they need. The key here is to politely give them a reasonable time-frame as to when they can expect the delivery. Don't tell them you will get to their work later because you decided to prioritize the other client's work over theirs.

Its all matter of politeness, but client was like.. no do this do that right NOW. I don't think they can treat us as a SLAVE.

Moreover contract was paused, so why would I work who just paused the contract without any discussion and intimation.

Actually client's IGO got hurt, why I have opted another client. that client wants me to work with that client only.

I so many times requested and said please calm down... but client was  at different level.

We are freelancer, developer we are human being as well.. if we are paid we spent time as well, there need to be way of asking something.. not like "I want my thing DONE RIGHT NOW"

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 11

Once a client behaves unreasonably, you should try to get out of the contract as gracefully as possible. Trying to argue with them--even if you are right--just causes more problems. If your hours were tracked properly, then you will get to keep the money that has been paid. If a formal dispute has been filed, respond with the facts (not feelings about client's behavior) and send the CS representative a screen shot of the messages in which client threatened you.  

Since the contract has now been closed (I assume) the client has already left their feedback so they can't add to that and whatever review they gave you is the only impact they will have on your JSS.

10 of 11

Tonya P wrote:

Once a client behaves unreasonably, you should try to get out of the contract as gracefully as possible. Trying to argue with them--even if you are right--just causes more problems. If your hours were tracked properly, then you will get to keep the money that has been paid. If a formal dispute has been filed, respond with the facts (not feelings about client's behavior) and send the CS representative a screen shot of the messages in which client threatened you.  

Since the contract has now been closed (I assume) the client has already left their feedback so they can't add to that and whatever review they gave you is the only impact they will have on your JSS.

Smiley Happy I tried alot to close it gracefully, even I have showsn all the output, lets see, moreover this was an ongoing task by task project, so client was changing requirements everyday.

she has mentioned some specific functionality is not working, but I have proof in chat it is working as expected, but she is not agreeing on that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS