cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client "Private feedback" and how it affects your profile

Highlighted
Dimitri P Member Since: Sep 18, 2017
1 of 16

Recently I lost my Rising Talent status. I thought it was because I was on vacation for a week and have not been active but after I contacted support I was brought up to date about a client "Private feedback" that might have affected my status. Even thought for privacy reasons I was not given further information I know witch client it was and I got pretty upset about the situation. The fact of the matter is that the client was a pretty difficult one with a bit of lack of communication and not that good of a taste when it comes to design. Inevitably this "private feedback" appeared that took away my Rising Talent status. 

I have been working in the field for 10 years now on graphic design and video editing +VFX. I also owned a design company for several years but I'm new to upwork. I'm telling you guys this because so you know my skills are not really questionable. I'm not the best designer in the world or the best video editor. I'm an average guy trying to make a living out of what he knows best.

The guys at support urged me to take this matter to the forums to get feedback from other designers and I'm sure most of you will agree with me. We all know that Upwork gets a pretty nice share of the work we are doing here + the subscription most uf you pay so I think that we should get something in return too. 

The reputation of a designer can drop dramaticly because of a superficial client feedback and that is just not fair. I think we should be able to contest these kind of private feedback so we can state our cause. It's not allways our fault so I propose a form of objection on these small disputes that ultimately affect our statuses. These issues could easely be judged by other designers that could have that privilage. If several designers analize the situations and decide that in fact the problem was with the client not the designer then the  "private feedback" should not be taken into consideration.

We all have been put in situations that we deliver "amazing designs" that we would not share as our portofolio because the client just would not listen and love a not so good design because of his lack of taste. 

In the same ideea i think that designer levels based on authentic judgement from designer to designer (and I'm not talking about the test on-site because i think that those too are kind of subjective) not just the ratio of succesfull projects or hours worked on upwork (you can work 1000 hours delivering **bleep**ty designs for **bleep**ty briefs) that does not make you a good designer. Real levels based on the quality of your work rated by proffesionals. That could really help differentiate the design cost and the quality delivered for differents amounts of money. It's outrageous when I see projects that are looking for expert designers with thousands of upwork hours and maybe ninja unicorn skills and the budget is 30 bucks.

So... let me know what you think on the matter. Sorry for the long post and exuce my typos... My written english is not perfect. Cheers!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 16

I'm afraid it is not about whose fault it is, and the opinion of your peers is irrelevant, as those peers do not pay you, and aren't where Upwork's profits come from.

Therefor the bottom line is that the only opinion that counts is the opinion of the source of the money that keeps this whole thing going:

The Client.

Did the contract result in a "great client experience" or did it not.... ?

That is all there is to it, and the faster you accept this fact and manage your contracts and your clients accordingly, the faster you will become successful here.

Highlighted
3 of 16

Well the experience was good. Project delivered. Not my best work but that's what happenes when you want a bitmap in a logo and you won't take anything else. But it's not about the success on site but about the design quality we deliver. If you are "forced" to deliver something you are not proud of it can easely attract stains on your profile. I think these situations should be judged closely.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 16

The product you need to deliver is client satisfaction.

this is a site with millions of freelancers and hundreds of thousands of transactions. Nobody at Upwork will look at individual outcomes to decide what is fair or not fair or make a decision on the merit of your design, my translation, someone else's code, article, bookkeeping etc etc etc etc.

It is what it is. Make it work for yourself.

Highlighted
5 of 16

I'm not talking about Upwork making these decisions. I'm talking about a sistem in witch other designers could judge contested situations like this. Of course these designers should have a separate judge badge absed on strict atributes.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
6 of 16

@Dimitri P wrote:

I'm not talking about Upwork making these decisions. I'm talking about a sistem in witch other designers could judge contested situations like this. Of course these designers should have a separate judge badge absed on strict atributes.

... and who do you suggest gets to define these attributes?

Highlighted
7 of 16

Us. This is a sistem that is already used in online gaming for example. There are games in witch if you report a cheater for example... that game is subject to judgment by other players that watch it to determine if there really was a cheater in the game or not. These players have this privilage because they fit certain needs (lets say they are kind of pro players). Once 5 players have judged the match and voted yey or ney .. that vote counts. This being said it would be a sistem that works with the support of the comunity.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 16

Dimitri:

I appreciate your considered thoughts. Your post has the merit of being novel and thinking outside the box.

But you have not justified or explained the economics of what you propose.

How does your idea earn more money for Upwork? It seems on its face that it would be costly and not benefit Upwork's shareholders.

Highlighted
9 of 16

That's easy... if you want to report a certain feedback and sent it to review.. you use connects.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 16

@Dimitri P wrote:

It does not MATTER what your peers think. It only matters what whoever pays you thinks. Your peers are not buying your services, your clients are.

And with hundreds of different skills the whole idea is completely impractical.

By the way, Support urging you to take your concern to the forum translates as "I have told you all I cantell you, there is nothing I can do about it, and I have a queue of other people waiting, please take it somewhere where the answers will be more brutally honest and where it does not cost support-time and -money."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS