Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client rating system

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Muhammad A Member Since: Sep 13, 2019
11 of 24

You mean, if a freelancer sends a new (second) proposal to the client (does not post a job again for a bid) after completing his first job successfully, the next review given by the client to the second job will not show in profile without login?

Am I right

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
12 of 24

Hi Carole,

As others have mentioned, you are able to enable the client to change his feedback.

You can also suggest to the client to contact us so that we can look into the issue they were having with regard to feedback, as currently we are not aware of any bugs affecting how many stars can be given.

~Nina
Highlighted
Carole S Member Since: Nov 14, 2017
13 of 24

Thanks, Nina. I think he just submitted the feedback too early and couldn't figure out how to change it back and blamed a "bug." It's REALLY not a big deal. This client has been nothing but honest and honorable with me. And he brought the issue to my attention right away. I just want to make sure I get my 5 stars, baby!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 24

Bear in mind that if your client also accidentally gave you low private feedback, they can't change that. So it's possible that when you get your JSS it will be lower than you'd otherwise expect.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Wayne G Member Since: Mar 14, 2018
15 of 24

the whole concept "private" feedback boggles my mind. i can't imagine why anyone ever thought that was a good idea.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
16 of 24

I don't have a problem with Upwork wanting private feedback from clients, considering that many freelancers would likely harass clients who give them low ratings.

However, I don't think Upwork should allow completely different private and public feedback, with the private feedback counting more toward the freelancer's JSS than public feedback doesn. That says tat Upwork doesn't put much stock in clients' public feedback, so there is no reason for freelancers or other clients to either.

There is no perfect solution, but, as a freelancer, I'd like Upwork to tell me a potential client's average public and private feedback for previous freelancers they've worked with, so I can see upfront whether a client is consistent in applying both types of feedback. (Hey, I know it won't happen, but a guy can dream of a better world, right?)

Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 24

Of course, Upwork could make the whole feedback system more relevant, more accurate and less contentious if a 3-star rating were accepted as average and a 5-star rating was something out of the ordinary.

As it is, freelancers chase 5-star ratings on every project they work on and at least some clients (especially the newer ones?) think there is nothing wrong with leaving a less-than-perfect rating for satisfactory performance by a freelancer. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 24

Will L wrote: At least some clients (especially the newer ones?) think there is nothing wrong with leaving a less-than-perfect rating for satisfactory performance by a freelancer. 

Yes, but isn't that how it should be? "satisfactory" (the client got their stuff done, more or less in time and "nothing was broken and nobody died" is sort of average.  Not Good, not GREAT (4 stars, 5 stars?) -

In Dressage, we have a 1 to 10 scale - where "satisfactory" is a 6

Thing is, "satisfactory" does not win prizes, in Dressage or on  Upwork. "Satisfactory" is "OK but not really good enough!"

Excellent

Very Good

Good

Fairly Good

Satisfactory

Sufficient

Insufficient

Fairly Bad

Bad

Very Bad

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 24

There are many rating systems in the world, Petra, but I don't know why you'd compare dressage scoring with Upwork's freelancer rating system.

Upwork clients don't award ribbons; they pay for a job done. Some jobs can be done well or extraordinarily well, others just need to be done to a certain "average" standard. 

If the dressage community required all competitors in each competition to have scored an average 9 or 10 in all previous competitions, we'd soon see a lot fewer dressage competitors and compeitions.

As far as I know from my sister's and niece's involvement in dressage, a horse owner who consistently only gets scores below 9 and 10 in dressage competitions might or might not continue spending the time and effort to continue competing. It's a hobby for them and not a matter of economics for at least some competitors.

However, most employees don't consider their jobs and projects a hobby. But it's enough for them that they can keep their jobs by doing an adequate/average job, which their employers are usually also satisfied with.

However, if, like Upwork, all employers required all their employees must get an annual review in the Top 10% (90 or above), there would be no companies who could stay in business with so much employee turnover.

The JSS's emphasis on above 90 scores as the minimal acceptable - the minimum level at which clients should consider freelancers as a default choice - is neither reasonable nor useful. But maybe that's not its goal?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 24

Will L wrote:

As far as I know from my sister's and niece's involvement in dressage, a horse owner who consistently only gets scores below 9 and 10 in dressage competitions might or might not continue spending the time and effort to continue competing.

Huh? Considering that nobody in the world "consistently gets scores between 9 and 10" in Dressage (most competitions up to world class level are won on scores between 6.8 and 8) that is unrealistic.

Will L wrote:

However, if, like Upwork, all employers required all their employees must get an annual review in the Top 10% (90 or above), there would be no companies who could stay in business with so much employee turnover.

That is just nonsense. Where do you get the notion from that Upwork "requires" everyone to be in the top 10% ? That makes no sense at all.

For starters that would be mathematically impossible. Only 10% can be in the top 10% (obviously.)

Secondly the JSS is not meant to express "top x% of freelancers" but what percentage of the freelancer's job resulted in a great (not "fine" or "ok" or "satisfactory") outcome.

"Satisfactory" in any rating system is not top notch. It's average, not great, nothing to write home about.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS