🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client received "idle activity" email dem...
Page options
editorfreelancer
Community Member

Client received "idle activity" email demanding payment from Upwork

(I put in a support ticket, but I'm OCD, and this has bothered me since I got the text yesterday.)

My client texted me this: Hi! I received a message from Upwork regarding "idle activity" from you. Can you advise about when the book will be complete. They are insisting on taking payment but I don't have the final product from you.

We are still on Milestone 2, so we're not at the "final product" stage. It sounds like Upwork thinks I'm not doing anything, but I just sent her four or five files through Upwork a week ago. Now my client is upset, wanting me to finish a book when I'm still researching for it, and I look bad now. What's going on with Upwork? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Tracey,

Since it's been almost 90 days since the money was deposited in Escrow for that milestone, the contract is about to go dormant. This prevents money from being held in escrow for too long. Please see section 4 of the Fixed Price Escrow Instructions details on how dormant contract situations are resolved.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lysis10
Community Member

Tracey H wrote:

(I put in a support ticket, but I'm OCD, and this has bothered me since I got the text yesterday.)

My client texted me this: Hi! I received a message from Upwork regarding "idle activity" from you. Can you advise about when the book will be complete. They are insisting on taking payment but I don't have the final product from you.

We are still on Milestone 2, so we're not at the "final product" stage. It sounds like Upwork thinks I'm not doing anything, but I just sent her four or five files through Upwork a week ago. Now my client is upset, wanting me to finish a book when I'm still researching for it, and I look bad now. What's going on with Upwork? 

How long has it been since it was funded? I wonder if this is the email to notify clients that they still have funds in escrow.

The contract started Feb. 12. The first milestone was short: consultation and outline. The writing will be (relatively) short. We're in the long middle milestone: the research. She funded this milestone in February, I believe. I send her text updates every Monday.

Hi Tracey,

Since it's been almost 90 days since the money was deposited in Escrow for that milestone, the contract is about to go dormant. This prevents money from being held in escrow for too long. Please see section 4 of the Fixed Price Escrow Instructions details on how dormant contract situations are resolved.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Bojan,

Can the client release to the freelancer a small amount of the total amount in escrow to re-start the 90-day clock?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Will, 

Yes, releasing a partial amount will reset the clock.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you. How small is the small amount? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths