🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client refunded the pay
Page options
195ef5ad
Community Member

Client refunded the pay

Hello. About 2 weeks ago I solved the task for the client, he paid.

And now he has requested a refund. I was surprised because the task was successful.  I could not find reasons for refund anywhere in my account. I have never dealt with the same. What should I do?

P.S Before the payment, he said to me that he forgives the Upwork password and he will create a new account. it guarded me

13 REPLIES 13
af792128
Community Member

Hello,

Do not accept the refund request if you are positive that you are the right side.

I don't know in what part of the site I would be able to accept or refuse 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Denis,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. 

Our team will reach out to you directly via email with more information about your specific case.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
195ef5ad
Community Member

thank u, Bojan

what options for the development of the event can be?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Denis,

While I can't share details about this case for privacy reasons, our team will reach out to you as soon as possible and further address your concern. Thank you for your patience!

~ Bojan
Upwork
195ef5ad
Community Member

Bojan, answer me, please

If I had spent 100 hours for the task instead of 1 hour, the Client  would could simply cancel the payment and return the money?

petra_r
Community Member

Denis P wrote:

Bojan, answer me, please

If I had spent 100 hours for the task instead of 1 hour, the Client  would could simply cancel the payment and return the money?

There was no returned money. The client never paid in the first place.

Had you used the tracker correctly, Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket. 

And yes, that would be the same for 100 hours.

195ef5ad
Community Member

What do u mean "you used the tracker correctly"?

I had just lunched tracker and stoped it in 1 hour then i finished task

What could i do wrong ?

Denis:
If you were using the Upwork desktop time-tracker application correctly, then that is a good thing.

I would encourage you to continue using the tool correctly in the future.

The reason that Petra suggested you may not have used it correctly was because a Forum Moderator checked the records and said: "Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. "

So the Forum Moderator was was hinting that your hours were reversed because they did not qualify for Upwork Hourly Protection.

Here are some questions you can ask yourself:
- When I accepted the contract, was the client payment-verified?

- When I logged time, was there adequate mouse/keyboard activity registered by the time-tracker?

- Did I write adequate, descriptive memos describing the work I was doing?

- Do the screenshots show that I am working on the client's project (and not doing something unrelated)?

Denis:
Is it possible that there is one of these criteria that Upwork thought you didn't comply with completely?

thank u very much

In fact, I did not use the Upwork tracker, because I did know about it so I had my first hourly task

In the future, I will use it

petra_r
Community Member

Denis P wrote:

What do u mean "you used the tracker correctly"?

I had just lunched tracker and stoped it in 1 hour then i finished task

What could i do wrong ?

Did you have

• Meaningful work memos on the tracked time that clearly described what you were working on?

AND

• Decent activity levels

AND

• Screenshots that showed you working only on the client's project?

195ef5ad
Community Member

I understand what u mean

Tracker is an additional program which i should install on my laptop

is not it?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members