🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client refuse to pay remaining amount
Page options
usman_rana786
Community Member

Client refuse to pay remaining amount

I've a client who start contract on upwork and then ask me to have a quick chat on skype once i agreed we have discussed everything and agreed on $25/ hr once contract started he trace my whatsapp number and chat on whatsapp but contract is still in progress when contract reach $256 he ask me to stop Hourly works lets move into fixed price i agreed again and start working after 2 day work its around 23 hours which will cost him $575 i ask him to let me add hours he said okay I'll add but first you need to submit work I agreed just because i trust on upwork and he is client and this client spend $20k then after 2-3 days he end contract without informing me and told that I'll pay directly to your Payoneer account and ask me to give review on his client profile first i refuse but he give excuse that payoneer is good choice blah blah so i did the same i give review and i tell him I've done please send remaining payment first he give excuses that his developer is in cov-19 so he will check but now he just ignored my messages and not paying money I'm very very worried please please help me how can i get my Money I've All proofs and chats.

You can see on screen short he directly end contract without informing me.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am an Upwork user, not a decision maker or Upwork employee. So it's not up to me. But just in case someone from Upwork sees this, here is my recommendation:

Clearly this client was manipulative and dishonest. He was the instigator of the problems. I don't want you to be in any trouble at all. I would like to see this considered a lesson learned. Let's just put this behind us. I know that you won't do this again.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

The client offered to pay you off-platform. You agreed. That is a serious violation of Upwork TOS. You got played. Your interaction with this client is now over. Never again contact this client. Never again try to get any more money for this project. Never try to contact Upwork Customer Support about this.

Thanks Preston for replying me

To be honest he ask me to do i don't want to go outside from upwork and he was already end contract without informing so I've no choice to agree on his offer to pay outsite i really want my profile on top rated plus so i always did transaction through upwork or even i also did for my direct clients i ask to my direct clients to pay through upwork because this one is very good for my profile but this person blackmail to give bad review i really worried when i did big mistake by accpting his offer

I am an Upwork user, not a decision maker or Upwork employee. So it's not up to me. But just in case someone from Upwork sees this, here is my recommendation:

Clearly this client was manipulative and dishonest. He was the instigator of the problems. I don't want you to be in any trouble at all. I would like to see this considered a lesson learned. Let's just put this behind us. I know that you won't do this again.

Thanks a lot brother Preston for giving me your best advice and Yes I'll never did this again 🙂

so I've no choice to agree on his offer to pay outsite

It seems you're still willing to go forward with payment off platform? To be absolutely clear, accepting payment off Upwork can get you permanently banned from the platform. 

petra_r
Community Member

Sarah B wrote:
so I've no choice to agree on his offer to pay outsite

It seems you're still willing to go forward with payment off platform? To be absolutely clear, accepting payment off Upwork can get you permanently banned from the platform. 

Even just agreeing to do so, which the OP has admitted to doing, can. It stuns me how freelancers conspire with clients to defraud Upwork, and then, when their partner in crime defrauds them, they run to the very people they were planning to defraud to ask for help. It's like a bank robber running to the bank for help when his accomplice didn't give him his share of the robbed money.

Don't they realise that by doing so, they are essentially reporting themselves...

Also, of course the OP "had a choice" - He could simply have confused to defraud Upwork and reported the client.

Freelancers who defraud Upwork defraud every honest freelancer and should be removed.

Thanks a lot sarah for replying me.

Basically once he end contract without informing me after that when i ask why you end contract then he ask me to pay outside so thats the main reason for agreement because if i refuse he will give bad review on my profile otherwise i can understand and follow all Upwork terms & policies upwork is my career so i don't want to be banned so i followed all terms and policies 🙂

Usman R wrote:
Basically once he end contract without informing me after that when i ask why you end contract then he ask me to pay outside so thats the main reason for agreement because if i refuse he will give bad review on my profile

Nonsense. The client had already ended the contract at that point, so feedback was already left. He couldn't have left a poor review at that point. 

Usman R wrote:
 i can understand and follow all Upwork terms & policies upwork is my career so i don't want to be banned so i followed all terms and policies 🙂

You didn't "follow all Upwork terms & policies" when you agreed to defraud Upwork, did you?

usman_rana786
Community Member

Hey premi

I'm a Full stack Web & mobile app developer along with UI/UX designer

Client and freelancer both should be removed.

JoanneP

Hi Usman,

I'd like to confirm that Preston is correct. Receiving or paying outside of Upwork is a violation of Upwork TOS. All payments should be done on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Joanne i always did payments through upwork but this time client ask me to pay outside after client ended contract on upwork let me know what i did when contract ended if i argument with client he will give bad review as well and destroy my career

Usman R wrote:
Joanne i always did payments through upwork but this time client ask me to pay outside after client ended contract on upwork let me know what i did when contract ended if i argument with client he will give bad review as well and destroy my career

You're not listening to what the others have said. If the client had already ended the contract, then he already gave you a bad review and his threat was meaningless. And even if the contract has ended, the client can still pay you a bonus through Upwork if he wants to (but he obviously doesn't). Saying, "I put payments through Upwork unless the client argues with me," sounds like you haven't learned anything from this incident. You should have asked yourself whether getting a bad review would be worse than having your account permanently banned.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths