🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client refused to pay on a fixed price contra...
Page options
chhikarajatin
Community Member

Client refused to pay on a fixed price contract after receiving the work.

Hello, Jatin here. 

I need your help in making a right decision as recently I finished a job for a 2d animation explainer video with this guy called Helen hu. We agreed on 300$ for a 1 minute video from which client submitter 200$ in the escrow as the 1st milestone for delivery and the second milestone of 100$ for revisions which is not funded. 

And after I delivered him the final video he told me that he need some changes which I quickly did and submitted the work again after 2 days. But insted of saying anything back he ended the contract and released only 100$ out of the first 200$ he submitted in the escrow and requested a refund for remaining 100$ in the escrow and when I asked him about this, he's using harsh words ( calling the work **bleep** and says he does not want to get into a dispute and if i fill a dispute then he will take the 100$ back too). I'd like to ask that what should I do as I should be getting paid 300$ but because he submitted only 200$, I can't get that but even oout of the 200$ he's asking for 100$ back and threatining me. Please guide as I don't want him to pay me and then put a negative review unnecssarily. This was my lowest budget work which I took because he requested. Otherwise I have completed higher paid jobs without any problems with the 5 Star reviews and happy clients. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jatin C wrote:

Okay, I agree to that. He must have left a feedback. So, what do you suggest? Should I just accept the 100$ refund request and leave a honest review on his profile or go into a dispute. 

Only you can decide. I might dispute just so the client doesn't get away with doing that to freelancers. I'm sure the client hasn't done this for the first time. You may also want to remind the client that they have no right to use the video at all as it is not fully paid for.....

Leave the honest feedback anyway!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Jatin C wrote:

Please guide as I don't want him to pay me and then put a negative review unnecssarily. 

The feedback has already happened when the client closed the contract. So that ship has sailed already.

Unfortunately you didn't pay attention to the client's feedback history. I'd never have accepted a contract from them.

Hi Petra, thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree that it's my mistake. I should not have accepted a offer from him in the first place. But now its done. And can you see the review he gave me or you're just saying that he must have done that? 

Jatin C wrote:

Hi Petra, thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree that it's my mistake. I should not have accepted a offer from him in the first place. But now its done. And can you see the review he gave me or you're just saying that he must have done that? 

It's impossible for the client to end the contract without leaving feedback, so I know he left feedback, that is a given.

Whether you want to put yourself through a dispute over the remaining $ 100 (where the client can theoretically try to get all their money back, including the $ 100 that was already paid) is up to you. 

Okay, I agree to that. He must have left a feedback. So, what do you suggest? Should I just accept the 100$ refund request and leave a honest review on his profile or go into a dispute. 

I'd do what you will suggest. But It sounds unfair to me that I worked for this and instead of getting paid, I'm facing this harrasment from the client.

Jatin C wrote:

Only you can decide. I might dispute just so the client doesn't get away with doing that to freelancers. I'm sure the client hasn't done this for the first time. You may also want to remind the client that they have no right to use the video at all as it is not fully paid for.....

Leave the honest feedback anyway!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members