🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Client refuses to pay me :(
Page options
branaljosiah
Community Member

Client refuses to pay me :(

As a little backstory, she was the first client I had here in Upwork as I have only started 3 weeks ago. We have agreed to do 2 worksheets, and will be charged at $25 per worksheet. But the offer she gave me was an hourly contract, but since I was new to upwork that time and have no idea of how things work, I have accepted the offer on an hourly contract basis. I started the desktop timer and I have finished the project within 5 hours, which had the amount of $150. I know it was negligence on my part because I did not familiarize with how hourly contracts work. But it was resolved by her resetting my timer to 0 hours, and she just promised me to pay me $75 for the work.

 

But now, she is refusing to pay me a single dollar. She said that she has already billed me $75 dollars twice, so her amount billed was actually $150 and now even demands me to do additional work for her. She said that the money is "coming into my way", but I know it was not the case because the payments are not reflected on my billing reports. In my understanding, hourly contract payments should be under the "in review" section, because I have done hourly contracts with other clients, but in her case, there is no single dollar of billing indication reflected on my report, and she keeps on telling me that I should be patient and that the money is "on the way" to me.

 

As an additional frustration, she replies once every 2-3 days. This means that I had to wait for 2-3 days to get her comments, and consult her on this matter. This work could have been finished within 4 days at most but has been stretched into 3 weeks now, and is still going because she is very unresponsive. 

 

My question is, how do I get myself paid for the work that I have done? and/or what other actions can I pursue to resolve this problem?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member


Josiah B wrote:

Client refuses to pay me 😞


The client isn't refusing to pay you. The client has atrady paid you a whopping three times what you agreed to. If you bothered checking your Reports > Overview you would see it.

 


Josiah B wrote:

But it was resolved by her resetting my timer to 0 hours,


This is nonsense, as resetting the weekly limit does not remove time already logged.

 


Josiah B wrote:

But now, she is refusing to pay me a single dollar.


Of course she is, given that you not only overcharged her by 300%, but she has already paid?????

 


Josiah B wrote:

what other actions can I pursue to resolve this problem?


You can :

1. Apologize most profusely to your client.

2. Immediately refund the three times overpayment.

3. Learn how Upwork works before you take another contract.

 

paid.png

 

 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tinker_bell3
Moderator
Moderator

Hi Josiah,

 

I checked your account and I was able to check the contract you're referring to. Upon checking, it looks like your client has processed payments for the hours you have logged. You can check it here. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you very much! I will now resolve this matter. Thank you again!
a_lipsey
Community Member


Josiah B wrote:

As a little backstory, she was the first client I had here in Upwork as I have only started 3 weeks ago. We have agreed to do 2 worksheets, and will be charged at $25 per worksheet. But the offer she gave me was an hourly contract, but since I was new to upwork that time and have no idea of how things work, I have accepted the offer on an hourly contract basis. I started the desktop timer and I have finished the project within 5 hours, which had the amount of $150. I know it was negligence on my part because I did not familiarize with how hourly contracts work. But it was resolved by her resetting my timer to 0 hours, and she just promised me to pay me $75 for the work.

 

But now, she is refusing to pay me a single dollar. She said that she has already billed me $75 dollars twice, so her amount billed was actually $150 and now even demands me to do additional work for her. She said that the money is "coming into my way", but I know it was not the case because the payments are not reflected on my billing reports. In my understanding, hourly contract payments should be under the "in review" section, because I have done hourly contracts with other clients, but in her case, there is no single dollar of billing indication reflected on my report, and she keeps on telling me that I should be patient and that the money is "on the way" to me.

 

As an additional frustration, she replies once every 2-3 days. This means that I had to wait for 2-3 days to get her comments, and consult her on this matter. This work could have been finished within 4 days at most but has been stretched into 3 weeks now, and is still going because she is very unresponsive. 

 

My question is, how do I get myself paid for the work that I have done? and/or what other actions can I pursue to resolve this problem?


If it was hourly it takes a long time because the week closes at 1159UTC on Sunday, and then they have until like Friday to review, then it takes 5 days to make it to your account. So you may have received the first $75, but not the second. 

petra_r
Community Member


Josiah B wrote:

Client refuses to pay me 😞


The client isn't refusing to pay you. The client has atrady paid you a whopping three times what you agreed to. If you bothered checking your Reports > Overview you would see it.

 


Josiah B wrote:

But it was resolved by her resetting my timer to 0 hours,


This is nonsense, as resetting the weekly limit does not remove time already logged.

 


Josiah B wrote:

But now, she is refusing to pay me a single dollar.


Of course she is, given that you not only overcharged her by 300%, but she has already paid?????

 


Josiah B wrote:

what other actions can I pursue to resolve this problem?


You can :

1. Apologize most profusely to your client.

2. Immediately refund the three times overpayment.

3. Learn how Upwork works before you take another contract.

 

paid.png

 

 

Thank you very much! I will do this. We have already resolved the issues. Thank you again!
Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jan 31
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths