🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client refuses to pay up
Page options
ezeoke-onyekachi
Community Member

Client refuses to pay up

Please, I really need help on how to handle a client that refuses to pay me the remaining money for the work I did for her.
I completed the project and the initial agreement was that once the app I built for her is approved she will pay up the remaining balance.
Now it's getting to a month now, each time she will be telling me she has not yet submitted the app.
The initial amount we agreed on was $800 and she has paid $500, the remaining $300 she said she will pay once the app is published but up till now, I have not gotten back my money.
Please, I need advice on how to resolve this issue and get back my money. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
kat303
Community Member

Is the remaining $300 deposited in escrow? if it is, submit your work by clicking on the Submit Work/Request Payment button and then wait. Do not message her, do not communicate with her. Just wait. If she does not dispute that request then the $300 will be automatically released to you in 14 days.

Of course, if there's nothing in escrow, then that's it. She's probably stalling and doesn't want to fund the remaining balance and is using those excuses at this time. Pretty soon, she will just disappear.  There's nothing Upwork or you can do to make her deposit what's owed. In the future, do not start work, until escrow is fully funded for each milestone.  

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Onyekachi, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with a client on Upwork. I checked your account, and do not see any amount in escrow for the remaining $300. This unfortunately do not fall under the eligibility to be protected under the Fixed-Price Protection Program.

As noted in this help article, only the money that's held in escrow is secure. We are unable to help you collect any funds that have been promised but not deposited to escrow. In the future, we highly recommend that you only start working on a project, or if the amount in escrow is appropriate for the work you will perform for that milestone.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members